View Single Post
Old 10-09-2006, 02:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
doorknob
Knucklehead

Hi MG,

I think what Laura is asking is, if 'God' doesn't exist, then why do 12-Step programs help people?

Hi Laura,

That's a good question. I think there are several reasons. Here they are, in no particular order:

1. Peer support - Spending time with other people trying to stay sober, reinforces and supports our own desire to stay sober, in the same way that hanging out with drinkers encourages drinking. This is what SR is all about, IMO.

2. The belief (in 'God') itself - Believing that some force is helping or giving one the ability to do something that they don't believe they are capable of, can give a person confidence to achieve that goal or task. It's like when a kid is given a good luck charm, and are told that it has magical powers, when in reality, it is an ordinary object. It's essentially a placebo effect, but it only works if you believe.

3. Practical aspects of the program - There are plenty of nut and bolt ideas and suggestions in the program that can be helpful, even if divine intervention is not a reality. Secular interpretations of the Steps demonstrate this well.

Anywho... that's my theory, in a nutshell.