View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 09:58 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Sobermind

"Secular Humanism is avowedly non-religious. It is a eupraxsophy (good practical wisdom), which draws its basic principles and ethical values from science, ethics and philosophy" ~ Paul Kurtz, founder Council for Secular Humanism.

I am non-religious, completely. I do not call myself spiritual although I recognize human spirit (metaphorically) as the most powerful force on the planet. I also came to realize during the course of my addiction that my "spirit" was the first thing to decline way before my physical health. I don't know the source as I was drunk when I heard it but someone once said that in addiction the soul is the first to die. I do not agree, as long as there are neurons firing in our neo-cortex the "soul" or "spirit" can be found. The spirit only truly dies when the brain tissue ceases to function. Perhaps I am mixing the two terms (soul and spirit) but I feel they mean the same thing. A good definition of soul (not including its popular use in music): "I like to think of it as something we create by investing our psychic energy in goals that benefit entities outside ourselves." (Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi). This is central to secular humanism.

I am no longer interested in debating the existence of supernatural beings of any sort with anyone ever! Been there done that. It is like wrestling with a pig in **** (mud). I am simply hoping to find people who enjoy exchanging ideas about philosophy and religion and recovery (and biology and astronomy etc.) without having to hear about how an invisible force changed their life. I am here because I know there are people here who also have struggled or are struggling with addiction as I have; and I hope to find someone that recognizes like I have that the release of irrational thoughts and using critical thinking skills are important aspects to regaining the "spirit" and staying sober. I know most of the people on this site will disagree and will try to convince me that the opposite is true that I must give up my "self" to a non-existent higher power surrender my critical thinking and "wait for the miracle". Not a chance.

I am currently reading (bouncing from one to other) from several books, Demon Haunted World by Sagan, A Treatise of Human Nature: Being an Attempt to Introduce the Experimental Method of Reasoning into Moral Subjects, by Hume and The God Delusion by Dawkins. I would enjoy discussing these and any other works along those lines with like minded freethinkers! Also, highly recommended reading, Jack Trimpey's Rational Recovery.

If anyone has read the latest issue of Free Inquiry magazine there is a great series of articles on religion and happiness. The results of much study has shown a correlation between religion and happiness. This is no surprise to most of us even staunch atheists like myself. The reason for the correlation (not certainly a causation) is unclear. It may likely be due to the fulfillment of certain human social needs that religion is good at. Such as, providing a strong support network during personal life crises. Also the tendency of most religions to deride vices such as alcohol consumption. As we all know, once getting sober, we are happier (at least certainly healthier) without the stuff! The core irrational beliefs of all religion is not likely the root of happiness.

Sorry for the long post, but as I said, I have little time available to me for reading and writing here!

Thanks for listening, if you did!

Mike