View Single Post
Old 10-03-2006, 07:50 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
doorknob
Knucklehead

AWOL From 12-Step Treatment

By Michael H.

Hi everybody. I'm back on the list from treatment and am proud to say that I lasted exactly 1 hour and 15 min in their program. I left so fast I even left my books on the desk in the classroom.

The year is currently 1998. We have pretty much decided that chemical addictions are genetic and/or cognitive behavior problems and not some metaphysical plot by some divine entity to lead us to spirituality. Although I agree that AA has helped many, I believe that its dominance in the medical field is not only improper, but unethical in this day and age.

I have been treated for many things in my life and not one doctor has ever told me to pray over a broken rib, pneumonia, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, depression or even the flu. Why should I have to do it for (in my case) this genetic disorder?

Big Books no longer belong on treatment wards. They belong in the Chaplain's office with the rest of the religious tracts.

When I want spirituality, I go to church where my Reverend does a fine job with those issues.

Thank you

Michael H.

Hiding from the 12 steppers in the woods of Tennessee.