View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 11:00 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Live

I spent some time studying the world's major religions and it seems that most of them share basic universal truths of what I would call ethics. That said, I am an agnostic. And frankly I am just looking for a place here where I can be me and still feel comfortable.
I was taught in college that being an agnostic is actually a bit harder than for those who have faith beliefs. We do not have that sense of comfort that those who have faith beliefs derive from their belief systems. Altho' from my perspective I can see how certain belief systems can result in great pain, those who believe that they are protected by their belief systems such that when tragedy strikes, they are shaken and may wonder why me? Other belief systems do not foster that sense of being protected and would ask why not me? I make no statements about others' beliefs being right or wrong, I am simply saying that I believe it is unknowable.
I often find that when I express that I am agnostic, others find it threatening or else feel the need to convert me.
So I am sort of introducing myself here to see if I can feel comfortable in this forum.
I will not ask anyone to defend their faith or lack thereof to me and I ask no one demand this of me.

live