View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Abbadun

Hi Ismchanger

I have seen too many people try in many different ways to stay sober and fail to believe that any one way of staying sober is the only way or the best. For every miracle that happens there are several tragedies by people using the same method (all methods) of recovery as the person who succeeded.

Abbadun

[QUOTE=ismchanger]Not trying to flame you or anything, but I get the distinct impression you are willing to go to any lengths...EXCEPT deal with your God issue. What is that about?

In my experience, as an alcoholic who has seen far too many miracles occur just in my OWN life, much less in the lives of others, it is impossible to explain away the incredible and miraculous changes that are brought about by the Program of AA. Words alone do NOT have this much power, nor do actions alone. I cannot understand how, if you really have been around this Program for a while, you can remain in defiance of God's love for you. I am guilty of defiance in many matters, both secular and faithful, and I have paid the price multifold. Have you such an amazing program that it is wholly self-sustaining?

Again I am not trying to flame you personally, but I am replying to this because I believe that separatist movements like "secular recovery" are doing an injustice to the vast majority of those who need sobriety. If you cannot accept the existence of God or a "higher power" as suggested in the 12 steps of AA then you really are missing the point of spiritual growth and the gifts/blessings that are derived therefrom.

...Edit...