Old 07-17-2003, 06:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
chrissy

Unhappy wife of an alcoholic and don't know what to do

Well, I don't know how to start off. I am 24 years old and my husband (age 32) is an alcoholic. We have been married a little over a year now and things seem to just be getting worse. When we first met, he was not drinking and was just the greatest person in the world. Then came the alcohol. I married him knowing of his drinking problems in the past and hoped they wouldn't surface, but they have. He has admitted that he has a drinking problem but he will not seek any help. I have wanted to leave him so many times, but I just can't give up on our marriage that easily - I am a fighter. He asked me Saturday to help him to detox (as we can't afford rehab) and after long consideration, I agreed to help. He admitted that he has been drinking 4 pints of vodka a day and didn't want to live this lifestyle anymore. So, off I went to the store and bought 2 1/2 pints to last for Saturday night and Sunday. Well, of course, it worked for these two days. Currently, he is not working and I am. So, Monday I go to work and come home and all seems good. Then Tuesday afternoon rolls around and to my surprise (yeh, right) he had been drinking. And then Wednesday and now today. I don't know how he is buying it. I have not been giving him any money and I hid his car keys. He doesn't work so why would he need them anyway. I am to the point where I just don't give a flip. I have made it up in my mind to save up some money and get the heck on. I just don't think that I am strong enough to leave. I tried it before and came right back. I know that he will not give up his drinking if I leave but I just don't know what to do. We always end up in a fight whenever I try to talk to him about hiding his drinking. Just like tonight, I knew by looking at him that he had been drinking and when I said something to him, he looked me in the eyes and flat out lied. And I get so angry when he lies to me, especially about drinking. I just can't keep dealing with this. I need some help or advice on how to get him to stop cause I don't want our marriage to fall apart due to alcohol. I want to have a family with him, but I feel like he doesn't even care about me. I could go on and on but I thought that this would be a start. Your help would be greatly appreciated.