Thread: Potentials
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2006, 04:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Bobbybanned

I was wondering

Originally Posted by aloneagainor
Perception is Reality. In what one perceives, and how one chooses to perceive, determines their reality. We can shape our reality by being aware we have the ability to choose how we will think. Objective reality? I don't know. Subjective perception certainly overrides. And in that, one has all the control inside their own mind to determine. It's incredibly freeing, to know...
As you know, I have much respect for your views and never would I challenge them, with ill intentions, but only as a means of exploring them with you. I know you know this already, but I mention it for the benefit of any other readers.

That being said, I am slightly hung-up on the "perception is reality" comment. I am trying to get to the heart of it and I wonder if I am missing something. It seems self-evident, but I wonder. Furthermore, the following sentence in the quote may be adding to my confusion. "In what one perceives, and how one chooses to perceive, determines their reality."
I have maintained the opinion that reality is in no way shape or form subjective. Regardless of what perception leads an individual mind to experience, reality outside that mind is what it is, and nothing can alter it from being reality. So should I assume you are directly refering to what that mind is actually perceiving rather than the actual reality itself? Or are you actually suggesting that if the mind perceives it as reality, it becomes reality, even if it is confined to that particular mind?
Maybe I am making more out of this than I need. I apologize if I am complicating things unnecessarily. That's not my intention.
It's just that if 3 people are looking at a blue ball, and one perceives it as red, while another as green and the third preceives it as purple, well, the ball is still blue, in reality. Their perception doesn't change the reality, only their response to reality.
Of course I am also assuming that may have been what you meant when you said, "In what one perceives, and how one chooses to perceive, determines their reality." But since I wasn't certain, I thought I would plunge into a bit as a means of discovering if I understood incorrectly....or what.
At any rate, perception is certainly an extremely important exercise in terms of accuracey. With awareness being such an important key to life, it would go without saying that perception is quite the team player.

Great Thread (Subject) My Friend