Thread: Just the facts
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2006, 05:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mongo

Thanks again Don, there'e some really good reading in this thread.

I am poised to quit smoking, again. I did quit in 1991 for five years, and yes it was pretty tough. I do remember that after a few months of no nicotine, I rarely thought about it anymore, and I do hope that I won't think of alcohol after an extended period of abstinence as well.

One thing I did not have in 1991 was an awareness of CBT and an understanding of recovery methods like I do today. I did it then, which proves to me I can do it again, and with these additional resources available, including internet support groups, I believe I can do it now.

The posts I've read here confirm my beliefs that alcohol abuse is not a life-long sentence, and that it is not some sort of incurable disease. My choices and behaviour are the culprit, and these can be changed. This gives me hope. If I believed that I was never going to be capable of modifying something that was causing me pain and anguish without devoting my life to meetings, or looking to a higher power, I would truly despair.

Please note that when I reject a disease concept or higher power I am not "bashing AA". I am merely relating what is working for my DIY recovery. This is what works for me and I welcome the opportunity to discuss recovery methods in this forum for my benefit, and perhaps others as well.

Just my thoughts.

Keep well

Ron