Thread: Managing Anger
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2006, 05:27 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
equus

I love what you've written but I'd like to ask a question. If water only comes in bottles charged 30 coins a time, then do I need coins to live?

define living, I don't think you can discuss need without defining what you need it for (not that this isn't fascinating to read!)
Personally I think the more nebulous description is the result of our evolution driven by the narrow description. Not all animals are group animals but some are, those differences allow them to exploit different assets in the enviroment in order to survive. I believe our 'extras' do the same for us.

Take Don's example from hurricane Katrina, the people needed the most basic things for physical life. The people needed HELP in order to get the most basic things for life. This is in essence not so different from the way an elephant herd will wait and work together to retrieve a trapped member.

OUr co-operation and physical survival aren't seperate. Our huge brains led to complex culture and language and that in turn proved successful for our species... although the story is not yet finished!