View Single Post
Old 08-16-2006, 07:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
trunlu

Taken responsibly, Valium can be a good thing for panic attacks and anxiety. My addictionist gives it to me in small, limited quantities for the extreme anxiety I experience. He is fully aware of my addiction issues, obviously, but it is the most effective option. For me Paxil caused severe anxiety, and I found Effexor to work better...of course we're all different...it's just that some antidepressants can cause anxiety or produce panic attacks (a few years ago, my sister-in-law took Serzone, which caused pretty bad panic attacks; they stopped when she switched to something else. Bizarre!)

I don't worry about my Valium use because it isn't something I enjoy the effects of, unlike hydro, which is my DOC. I do know that there is a very real risk of dependence with it--indeed with pretty much any drug--but my use is so infrequent and is so "supervised" by my doctor (drug tests included), I feel like quite safe with it.

Just be aware of your use and don't fool yourself into thinking there is no threat there. Be honest with yourself and your doctor.

Just because we are addicts doesn't mean we have to be martyrs to pain, anxiety, insomnia, etc. There are ways to handle these very real issues.

This is just my opinion, of course, and comes from my personal history. You know yourself better than anybody. Listen to your heart, soul and body and go from there.

Peace.
--Truman