View Single Post
Old 08-16-2006, 05:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
equus

Not long ago I was contemplating the life of Jesus and the teachings of the religion I grew up with.
I'm a freaky aitheist in having a certain affection for scripture of many religions!! Christianity, and the bible I know better because of my upbringing but as I left believing in the supernatural I saw no reason to forgoe the areas of teaching which seemed to make sense to me, or to not be curious how these beliefs have shaped our culture. There was certainly a period when I was wary but as I got more confident and content in a lack of god my waryness faded.

These days for the life of me I struggle to understand how religions can fail to be interesting as they are some of the oldest texts we have available that wrestle with the very nature of life. They were written by people, often collectively, filled with intent, have been read by billions over thousands of years. They CERTAINLY remain fascinating to me!

If I was left alone, if suddenly all group experience was denied me, without language except what I invented, with a motivation to invent - in isolation; I'm totally unsure that any part I know as me would or could exist. I think it is possible that the group experience has wholly created this individual.