View Single Post
Old 08-16-2006, 05:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
brigid
body ~ mind ~ spirit

We are stronger as a group. When a belief is shared, a song is sung in unison, laughter is heard, we get stronger. There is immense satisfaction from a feeling of belonging. How many alcoholics isolate? How much is that part of the process of destruction? How many of us hate loneliness?

Yet to be an individual is to be admired ... someone who makes up their own mind ... a leader, an innovator. They are not lonely ... or are they?

It is a balance, group psychology is interesting. I feel that it is part of survival of the species and an instinctive need that is governed greatly by our emotions. And in contrast to that is our desire to be seen and acknowledged on some level for the individuals we are.

Not long ago I was contemplating the life of Jesus and the teachings of the religion I grew up with. It taught me that we should love all people. I was wondering how I was really going to get there, how was I going to be able to love all people? I haven't gotten there yet, but I am getting there ... I look for myself in others ... I usually find something. We are but various versions of a theme, we innately share so much, we are stronger as a group. As I find my own strengths and weaknesses in other people all around me, I accept and respect others and myself so much more.

It is also really fun to see someone grow, to see a group grow and evolve, it is a process to be part of, to share, it is life.

love and peace,
Brigid