Thread: Managing Anger
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2006, 02:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
equus

But our actual needs are very much like those of plants: food, air, water, light. Beyond that, pretty much everything is a preference.
Is this true? I'm serious - the rather obvious cruelty of bringing a child up with only the above would make it an unlikely experiment. I think though it has happened, I've never researched it carefully enough but have loose memories of the effects of emotional starvation studied after neglect. I would also point to the use of solitary confinement across so many cultures as a means of both punishment and torture. What rational base is there for for the belief that all we need is food, air, water, light etc? Is it based on any knowledge of survival with just those things? Is there any evidence of that having happened?

Taking as an example the history of sign language and the deaf; the affects of periods of time when deaf people were forbidden to use signing and instead forced to lip read and attempt speech, then comparing it to times when signing has been encouraged - I would suggest the results show a certain need for language.

Also I would offer dignity and freedom from persecution as something slightly more than just a desire. The impact of prolonged emotional abuse is well documented (I think this is safe enough not to reference but I will if you wish). What about slavery? Is it fair to say all NEEDS have been met if a person is given the contents of that small list and nothing more?

Is want versus need truly a clear black white line?