View Single Post
Old 08-12-2006, 06:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
equus

Without delving any further into this as it gets very mired down in explanation, I'll conclude in saying that there's a terrible shortage of self-awareness in human nature. And I believe, through chosen deliberate awareness, most can choose to do better. Even through a diseased brain. Perhaps not wet-brain or severe damage to the prefrontal cortex, but those are extreme exceptions. My experience with drugs that directly affect perception suggests to me that people have far, far more capacity to direct our actions and reactions than we actually engage.
I agree utterly and would readily include myself as a person how could choose better - hence there being point to life, to learn, change, and act in different ways.

The brain is fascinating, like the stars and the deep sea - unlike stars and oceans though it is soley about 'us' as human beings and for that reason I think it has traditionally been surrounded with myths and fear.

I live within a reality that is real to me, I don't find knowledge about how the brain is connecting to the mind a challenge to that - largely because there is so much room for me as an individual to grow within what I have.