View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 04:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
equus

Question Letting go emotionally.

Ok - I'm still banging on about my job but it struck me that this is an issue that arises outside of work too, and it's one that makes a real difference to how I(we?) feel.

I'm questioning how or if I should let go of how I feel about a situation. I had a good chat with my office mate this morning about how hard to fight when it looks as though a large organisation is going to make a harmful mistake. The advice he gave me was sound and I'll follow it so that's not what I'm facing.

The thing is although I work in a different service to the one I had to fight last year, I still learned lots about how it feels to really not have needs met. I learned how important it is for faceless 'services' to have ears and for individuals to be heard. I learned that it hurt despite all the advantages of being a professional adult - my SENSE of understanding it from the position of a child raises BIG emotions for me.

The above could be anything where success isn't garaunteed, where effort could be wasted, where stakes are high, and the feeling of real NEED is present. I know with CBT there's caution in saying 'NEED' yet there are times when I think it can't be ignored. I want to say not everything can be written off by saying the world won't fall apart - I know that but I also know the stakes are still high and the costs are still human.

I found myself reading more research saying the same thing I've been saying and I felt near to tears, because I'll take it and present it but it may well still be ignored.

On the one hand when we were begging for services all I wanted was somebody in THEIR organisation to care, feel, understand, to take our part and not to just fall in line. I wanted there to be people that hadn't forgotten the costs are in terms of human distress, that failing will mean people hurt.

So I'm in another organisation and don't want to lose my feelings, on the other hand if I keep them I have to deal with this stuff emotionally too.

Do I let go of it emotionally? Or find some way to keep the emotions and deal with them?

Perhaps I should have titled this emotional frustration!!!