Old 08-09-2006, 12:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
equus

It did kind of rock!! (I mean watching it not my summary).

You know what the irony was for me? After the last time D drank, he went as he had before for alcohol counselling; only the counsellor we got was totally anti - thinking. I asked for a reference and all hell broke loose with D being told that learning would only make him an knowledgable drunk!

Yet what happened showed the EXACT opposite, as D learned his thinking changed, by giving information, references, and allowing his own choices he says I helped and I believe him. I was there through his trying moderation and on SR defended his right to, I was there after 'slips' and when they got common and 'relapse' became likely, I was there to see how thinking and learning changed decisions.

It's why I have faith in the future, while it won't be problem free because life isn't, whatever the problem we can both be flexible enough to keep looking for what works.

But this is what I saw, with D. If D had been someone else, if his preference was to be directed in change, if he had less curiosity I doubt he'd be my husband for a start and secondly he may have RIGHTLY chosen a different path.