View Single Post
Old 08-05-2006, 06:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
aloneagainor

It's a massive twist in thinking isn't it, that realization that no-one lives for another, that we live for ourselves, and to be guilted into believing we must sacrifice ourselves for another is the grandest manipulation of them all! Catholic guilt...that's the ultimate. Have you read John Dominic Crossan or Antony deMello? Both former Catholic priests who, in light of greater understanding (enlightenment), revised their postion about that religion and deemed heretics in the church. But so firmly they recognized the faulty and destructive, manipulative teachings within that religion they continued to profess their newfound understanding to anyone willing to hear of it. Taken me decades to get past that "mind-crippling nonsense" ((Five)) instruction of my childhood...

Yesterday Jehovah's Witnesses paid me a visit. They have a new intro. line, asking the question, "If you could eliminate one negative force in the the world, one cause of global suffering, what would it be." I thought to say "evangelists" but thought better of it and went with "world hunger" instead.