Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Special-Interest Groups > Women In Recovery
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Chat Room [3]

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Community

Already registered? Login above ---^
OR
To take advantage of all Posting, Chatting, Gaming, and all the features available at SoberRecovery, join the over 100,000 current members, and become a member of our supportive community today! Ads will no longer appear on the forums, once you register.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Physical differences when stopping drinking

Hello everyone

I'm new to this, on day 8 and just discovered this forum-have been on the alcoholism one since joining.

I was hoping someone would be able to advise me on if I will start to physically look better reasonably soon after stopping drinking, namely weight loss and broken veins/redness in the face. I have noticed the bloating seems to have reduced.

I am 37, 12.5 stone and have been drinking 1-2 bottles of wine a day every day for many years and can really see the effects of it but wondered if it would reverse. thank you
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

One of the first things I noticed was that the "bloat" in my face (puffiness under the eyes, in the cheeks, etc) went away. I had sallow coloring, and that went as well.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to wellwisher For This Useful Post:
justhadenough (01-10-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
~sb

By 30-60 days I was given many compliments on how healthy I looked, some were from random strangers!!

All Big Book quotes are from the first edition.
Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sugarbear1 For This Useful Post:
justhadenough (01-10-2012), lillyknitting (02-05-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

thanks Wellwisher and sugarbear. My face does look less bloated and there is no doubt at all that I feel healthier. Here's hoping I start to look better soon too. thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to justhadenough For This Useful Post:
sugarbear1 (01-10-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi justhadenough. Congratulations on your sobriety It is so true, the nasty bloat & facial redness goes away! Since March of 2011 I have lost over 30 pounds of alcohol weight. I think sobriety can definitely reduce/eliminate the gross side effects of drinking.
The Following User Says Thank You to MsJax For This Useful Post:
BarrysMama (01-01-2013)
Old 01-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJax View Post
Hi justhadenough. Congratulations on your sobriety It is so true, the nasty bloat & facial redness goes away! Since March of 2011 I have lost over 30 pounds of alcohol weight. I think sobriety can definitely reduce/eliminate the gross side effects of drinking.
Thanks for your response MsJax and congratulations to you on 10 months. That is a brilliant achievement.

I would love to lose 30 pounds-I need to lose it as am very overweight and unhealthy. It's amazing though-even just after a few days my diet has improved massively and I'm not eating as much stodge which I always ate for hangovers. So hopefully in time, no alcohol and better diet will result me becoming more healthy and fitter too. Thanks again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justhadenough For This Useful Post:
livethroughthis (03-11-2012), MsJax (01-10-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Not Powerless, but Empowered!

on an old thread I once calculated my calorie consumption from wine alone...figure 8-10 large glasses a night at 200 calories each times 7 days. works out to between 10,000 and 14,000 empty wine/sugar calories a WEEK...go further to 3500 calories are in a pound...well do the math and it is shocking (but truthful).

no wonder i was flirting with type 2 diabetes and elevated BP.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fandy For This Useful Post:
justhadenough (02-11-2012), MsJax (02-05-2012), sita71 (07-24-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Learning to live again

My bloated face & stomach went down considerably after about a week. I had 'gin blossoms' too, & it took awhile, but they left also.

My hair was coming out in my brush (I know Fandy had this, too) and my nails wouldn't grow. I was very pale and unwell looking. It all got better.

Unfortunately, I didn't have an immediate weight loss because I replaced the alcohol with candy & any sugar I could get my hands on. Hopefully you won't go there! Congratulations on Day 8!!

Rock bottom is the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life. J.K. Rowling

You are so much more than the worst thing you've ever done. Fr. Greg Boyle
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hevyn For This Useful Post:
justhadenough (02-11-2012), MsJax (02-05-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 04:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks Fandy and Hevyn

I'm also on verge of Type 2 and had GD when pregnant

Those figures about calories are scary Fandy. I was also drinking 1-2 bottles wine a day so am hoping to see a difference in weight pretty soon though eating lots of chocolate doesn't help!!
Old 01-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have lost 15 pounds I've tighten two more belt loops, went to get pants that fit but I'm still dropping the pounds. At first I thought I was sick because of the weight loss, oh and did I mention I feel like a million bucks. Clean&Sober lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EarlHickey For This Useful Post:
BarrysMama (01-01-2013), justhadenough (02-11-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
LDT

I've been sober 1 year and 4 days. I did it with a lot of will power, an excellent counselor, and exercise. When I first quit drinking I was terribly under weight because I had developed an eating disorder..... I was only drinking alcohol because I threw up anything I tried to eat. A year later I am heavier ( by design ) but not fat, sober, healthier. The bloat in my face is gone. My hair is thicker, my skin in much better shape. Your body will go through many changes in recovery. Embracw them all because it is infintely better than drinking.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
justhadenough (02-11-2012), livethroughthis (03-11-2012), MsJax (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

wobbling weebil

I quit drinking the day after xmas, its been about 41 days now. I had always been a hard core exerciser/runner and healthy eater--even when binge drinking bottles of wine (up to three, sometimes) so kept moderately healthy until a year ago when I began drinking from am to blackout after a series of setbacks that put me in an emotional vortex.

At that time I progressed to whiskey (a fifth per day at least). I spent most of my time going through drive thrus, drinking whiskey with ginger ale, and being glued to the couch. Easily packed on 50 pounds in 5 months. FIFTY. Face was so disgustingly bloated and my stomach was HUGE....People I have known for years didn't recognize me. I rarely left the house out of shame for what I had become. I had generally been trim now so swollen and unhealthy looking! I read somewhere that liver damage can cause the abdomen to swell, which I suspect was the case. A month ago I tried a lemon and honey detox. The bloating went down and good color came back (not red, splotchy drunkard face) ....but now need to start an aggressive exercise plan to drop the rest of the lbs. It is weird - even though no major weight loss since quitting drinking, my body shape has changed. Some muscle mass seems to have returned and I have a waist again!

It is reassuring that our bodies possess an amazing ability to heal, even after so much self-inflicted abuse.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flower43 For This Useful Post:
justhadenough (02-11-2012), starling (04-04-2013)
Old 02-10-2012, 04:22 AM   #13 (permalink)

weight loss

I had already lost weight by cutting out certain foods prior to alcohol abstinence.
I am on day 11 sober, after going 20 days, then lapsing. I stopped wine on Boxing day went 20 days etc, then dry from last monday.
My problem is, before first abstinence, i had got to my target weight of 8 stone, i was 9, this was still while i was comsuming wine, a bottle and a half a day.
Since being sober again, my eating habits have not changed, but i am now 7 and a half stone, i guess it is the lack of empty calories, i want to be 8 stone, but cannot gorge on food because my stomach has shrunk, i am now a size 8 instead of a 12, i feel great, had to buy new clothes, but dont want to lose more weight will i metabolise out of this, i am 5 3 in height also..
The Following User Says Thank You to whitehorses For This Useful Post:
justhadenough (02-11-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #14 (permalink)

hello everyone

just thought I would update. I'm on day 40 now and wow!!

I have lost 18 pounds- I still have much to lose but really feel and look so much better. The bloatedness on tummy and face have gone. My skin looks better, even my nose looks slimmer(!!) the redness has gone down. I feel physically and mentally better. People have started to comment on how much better I'm looking which is positive.

After some intense sugar cravings I'm concentrating on eating healthily now together with vitamin and mineral supps. It's amazing how much my appetite has reduced to that of a normal person since I'm no longer stodge eating my hangovers away!

Happy healthy sober time everyone.x
The Following User Says Thank You to justhadenough For This Useful Post:
sita71 (07-24-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

It's day 47 for me. I only lost three pounds since began sobriety..boo hoo..but at least I am sober !

Congrats to everyone feeling and looking a lot better!
The Following User Says Thank You to flower43 For This Useful Post:
BarrysMama (01-01-2013)
Old 02-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower43 View Post
It's day 47 for me. I only lost three pounds since began sobriety..boo hoo..but at least I am sober !

Congrats to everyone feeling and looking a lot better!
Hi FLower, being sober is the most important thing-congrats on your 47 days

I was over 40 pounds overweight so think some just fell off when I became sober. I am still overweight but its gonna be harder from now on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justhadenough For This Useful Post:
April14 (02-14-2014), flower43 (02-11-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

March 19, 2012 - Day One
My Reasons not to Drink
  1. I am tired all the time, I want to feel better (Think: Perpetual Hangover)
  2. I will save about $10,000 a year.
  3. I'm killing myself, I want to be healthy and take better care of myself
  4. I want to look better
  5. I want to be motivated to be successful
  6. I want to be more productive
  7. I want to remember conversations
  8. I want to enjoy life
  9. I want to face my fears, conquer my demons instead of avoiding my problems by numbing through alcohol
  10. I want to love myself, respect myself and live a better life
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FamilyGuyFan For This Useful Post:
Bonnie1 (03-20-2012), justhadenough (07-06-2012), sita71 (07-24-2012), WhiteKnuckles (04-10-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #18 (permalink)

Hi Family, those are 10 great reasons to not drink! I personally think #10 is the most important and the best place to start.

"Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up"

"With God all things are possible"
Old 03-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #19 (permalink)

Hello Ladies

I'm on day nine and my skin is definitely looking better. My 8 yr old daughter told me yesterday that my skin is 'so smooth'. I definitely feel I look healthier.

Not sure if I've lost any weight yet (probably not, as I've been indulging in all my favourite foods and treats since I gave up the wine) but hopefully that will come too!