Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Special-Interest Groups > Women In Recovery
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Community

Already registered? Login above ---^
OR
To take advantage of all Posting, Chatting, Gaming, and all the features available at SoberRecovery, join the over 100,000 current members, and become a member of our supportive community today! Ads will no longer appear on the forums, once you register.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Cool Dry Skin

My alcohol indulgence has caused nasty, dry, dehydrated skin.

I dumped my last bottle of expensive wine today, and I'm going to struggle with my addiction again.

Do any of you have skin problems caused by alcohol, and how do you treat it?

Please share any tips and suggestions.

Zu
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-09-2008, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi Zuzu,
For about the first two weeks, I would find myself with a nagging headache on my way home from work every night. I was so used to having a beer every night immediately after work, I alleviated it with expensive microbrewed sodas, and eventually iced tea and water. Good for you!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Hi Zuzu,

I expect that, once you stop drinking, your body will start to work on healing itself.

Hopefully your skin will begin to improve too.

Maybe there’s a way out of the cage where you live
Maybe one of these days you can let the light in
Show me how big your brave is.

Sara Bareilles & Jack Antonoff "Brave"
Old 05-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Life is Grand

OMG!! My skin was so dry when I first got sober, I peeled from head to toe, even the palms of my hand peeled!!! I was SO thirsty, there wasn't enough water in the world to quench my thirst, fortunately, after a couple of weeks of sobriety, a LOT of water and some lotion, my skin began to get better, I feel your pain remember...lots and lots of water!!

Cathy
Old 05-10-2008, 07:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Attitude of Gratitude

Perhaps you can take some of the money you spent on wine and buy yourself some scented moisturizers. I took some of my Christmas money and actually treated myself to a line of Victoria's Secret goodies. Ever since I've gotta Clean and Sober and being responsible, I've used any money I've gotten for gifts to pay bills or stock up on things like toilet paper, laundry soap, paper towels . . . . but then I realized that I could treat myself to some soothing scented personal care products. I got the entire line of shower gels, moisturizers, lotions, body butter and cologne. I also got a good loofah (sic?) to help get the old dead skin off and make way for the new. After a nice hot shower, I take the time to pamper myself and layer the moisturizers on. No better reward for myself at the end of a long day and it helped my skin quite a bit.

And as Surleyredhead said, lots and lots of water. When I first got clean it was in July and I couldn't understand why my skin was peeling away like a snake shedding it's skin. It's not like I'd been in the sun, I had been isolating in my apt all summer. I looked at it as though I was even getting new skin to go along with the rest of the new me!

God Bless and Keep in Touch through the PM's!

Love ya,
Judy

Just when the Catterpillar thought her life was over, She became a Butterfly
7/25/05
Old 05-10-2008, 08:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

The best thing I ever used was a lotion for tanning beds, I had such dry skin that I itched all the time, tried everything. It was horrible. Try any tanning accelerator, you don't have to tan to use them and they are great moisturizers, and if you get one with a bronzer you can have a nice light tan too
Don't go to cheap on it either, YOU ARE WORTH THE EXTRA MONEY! The bottle I bought was $20, but it was well worth the money.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Do any of you have redness in the face as well, and how have you dealt with that? I did buy myself a spider vein treatment lotion for the face, and it seems to help a little, but I'm even considering saving for laser treatment with the money I don't spend on wine. I hate the redness.

My skin is still dry after several days, and I really have to force myself to drink water - I'm like a camel. I have been drinking herb tea and I've dived back into my macrobiotics!
Old 05-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Music Lover

hi there. I'm really into beauty and skin care, and i love talking about it.

I have really sensitive skin, and I use Aveeno Ultra Calming Foaming face wash twice daily, and I use Aveeno Skin Brightening Daily Scrub a few times a week. The thing with dry skin is that it flakes and clings to your face, then new skin grows around and on top of it, which causes zits. So, it sounds like an oxy moron that you would use a scrub on dry skin, but it works by getting rid of all those flakes and allowing the fresh skin underneath to shine. The calming foaming face wash is just a great way to get your skin clean.

While your skin is still warm and damp, apply a moisturizer. The type you want to use is up to you, but I alternate between two: Aveeno Ultra Calming lotion, and Burts Bees Carrot Day Cream. The carrot day cream is really thick and shouldn't be used twice a day, but when you're super dry, it's like a miracle cream. I use the ultra calming lotion at least twice a day, sometimes more.

Moisturizing is the most important part, but dont ever ever put moisturizer on a dirty face. that will trap dirt and dead skin cells and cause break outs.

I want to post links to images of the bottles but I can't post links until I have 15 posts! Bah! so... I will get back to you about this in a few minutes i guess. If you have any more questions about skin, hair, or make up, please feel free to ask
Old 05-15-2008, 09:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

I may take u up on that!
Old 05-15-2008, 11:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
same planet...different world

turns out mine is the thyroid problem.

I wonder if Quaker State makes a skin cream?
Old 07-31-2008, 07:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Why does dryness appear AFTER you quit?

I have the same problem, but the SUPER dry skin and peeling was not a problem while I was drinking - why does it get so bad after you stop and how long does it last - my face burns as well........ any ideas??
Old 07-31-2008, 10:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

I am not sure how long you have not been drinking, but after about two weeks I noticed two very prominent things in my face. The dryness got better and the puffiness went away. I think if you give it some time you will see an improvement.

When I was drinking, (my doc was also wine), I constantly had a red chest and neck area. Most of that has gone away, but I do still have some of those yucky spider veins.

Alcohol has done so many crappy things to my body.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:22 AM   #13 (permalink)

I drank right through my 30s without too much damage to my skin but in my 40s the spider veins and broken blood vessels showed up. There isn't anything I can do about that now and it depresses me. I know I'm luckier my health wasn't more compromised --

Mala
Old 08-01-2008, 06:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I had several spider veins around my nose that I thought I was stuck with - but miracle of miracles, they're gone now. I couldn't even tell you when they disappeared. I'm sure it happened gradually.

I started using moisturizer on my face in early recovery, battling dry patches that seemed to return if I missed just one morning or one evening of slathering it on. I also, as part of my menopause treatment, started taking Vitamin E with my black cohosh. I've been skipping the moisturizer in the summer heat, and surprise! surprise! no scaly patches. So - I don't know if it's the Vitamin E that's preventing them or if I'm just drinking more water than usual - my dry patches are gone.

Peace & Love,
Sugah

There's a train leaving nightly called when all is said and done
Keep me in your heart for awhile

ANS 01/29/86-08/04/08
DAS 02/27/73-05/11/10
AJH - 06/01/69-06/16/12
MLM 07/11/61-01/14/13
Old 08-01-2008, 11:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have always suffered from dry skin & eczema, especially when I used to drink it was much worse. I found this amazing body butter and I have not had eczema for the entire year I have used it! I find this bizarre because I have, throughout my life tried everything known to woman, it seems & it always came back. The body butter is handmade with completely natural ingredients, & it is safe for kids and to use on your face. I have a link I can share with you, not sure what the rules are on here so I don't really want to advertise it in my post, but I can't say enough good things about it. Feel free to PM me if you'd like the website. I definitely found though, that my skin improved SO much about 2 months after I quit drinking................
Old 08-02-2008, 12:32 AM   #16 (permalink)

I also had dry skin and a red face when I quit drinking. I was living in China at the time, and the Chinese told me my liver was "too hot", and that's why my face was red.

Once I was over my extreme thirst (I drank water constantly) I wanted to get rid of the redness on my face.

Here's what I was told:

Drink room temperature water, every half an hour, about 5 - 10 sips at a time. Not too much. Only enough so that the water goes into your blood stream, not just through your system.

That should take the redness out of your face over about a 3 - 5 week period.

It worked for me, and my liver is now a "healthy temperature". The red colour is completely gone.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
Looking For Myself...Sober

I dont drink. But since Nov I have had dry flaking red sore skin on my forehead. It burns when I put lotion on it. And it is really dry and red when I wash my face or especially when I get out of the shower. Not sure what it is. But I need to ask a Dr. I keep forgetting.
I always itch alot a few weeks after not using. I dont know if mine is dry skin. Or what it is. I always have when using. Cocaine use to make me break out in hives. But when I started smoking it. I would itch like crazy after using and for weeks after not using.
Weird.

It may not get easier, But it will get better.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
Community Greeter

When I stopped I too had dry skin, it did clear up, I used a cream containing honey and it wasn't stickyit just gently moiturised my skin. I hope the suggested treatments you try work.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
Looking For Myself...Sober

I finally found something to get rid of the flaky dry skin on my face.
Loofa!!! I have been scrubbing my face with one for the past 2 days and it is gone.
It feels like I am sand papering my face. But it is so smooth and no flakes of dead dry skin everytime I get out of the shower. Woo Hoo.

It may not get easier, But it will get better.