Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Special-Interest Groups > Women In Recovery
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Chat Room [13]

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Community

Already registered? Login above ---^
OR
To take advantage of all Posting, Chatting, Gaming, and all the features available at SoberRecovery, join the over 100,000 current members, and become a member of our supportive community today! Ads will no longer appear on the forums, once you register.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 08:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Wondering how to get off Suboxone/

My boyfriend and I have been on suboxone for a year and now we have been clean and sober and never ever want to take another chemical in our lives.
Is there a way to get off THIS? Our DR. told us Good Luck your on it for life. I am going for surgery on a few months and do want to be on this any longer. We figure we are going to taper our self down from 8mg a day then 4mg a day then half . I have no idea he is working his but off so we can have $$ to pay the bills and more or less stay in bed and swet it out but I never want that feeling again. I missed an appoint ment once and my dr went on vaction and I had nothing...it took me to he** and back I was almost feee and then I wnet back to him...GRR..I wish I had a Dr who cared. Can anyone help?
:praying
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-16-2007, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I would suggest that you find a different dr who understands addiction and is able to offer advice to you. I would also say that there can be benefits and pitfalls if you are doing this with someone else. Recovery is a really tough road and not everyone is going to make it the first time or the second. Are you prepared for how you will feel if you or your boyfriend start using again?

I hope others will be along who can offer more specific suggestions, but please keep reading and posting.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-16-2007, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi Sherilee,

I don't know anything about that medication but it is my experience that you should have a doctors advice about tapering off a med that he said you may need the rest of your life.

Years ago I was on Xanax and decided to stop taking it not knowing that I would have withdrawal from it since I had been on it seven or eight years.

I thought I had the flu....and had my husband come home and take me to the doc. I then found out I was going through withdrawal and had to restart a small dose and taper off slowly.

I would see another doc if it was me. Your life might be at stake here doing it on your own.

kelsh

God Grant Me the Serenity to Accept the Things I Cannot Change..the Courage to Change the Things I Can Change..and the Wisdom to Know the Diifference.

Sobriety Date: July 10, 1988
Old 10-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Life the gift of recovery!

I am in total agreement with the other posters. Find a new doctor. A good doctor is willing to listen, they are there to help you. To tell you that you are on the medication for life without giving you a reasonable explanation is ridiculous. It may be true that it is a medication you will need to take for life. Below is what I found at the suboxone web site http://www.suboxone.com/patients/suboxone/faqs.aspx
Quote:
How long will I stay on SUBOXONE?
A: The length of your SUBOXONE treatment depends on what your doctor, you, and, possibly, your counselor or therapist decide is best for your needs. Although short-term treatment may be an effective option for some, for others it may not allow enough time to address the psychological and behavioral aspects of their condition. The chance of relapsing can be higher with short-term treatment because patients have less time to learn the skills needed to maintain an opioid-free lifestyle.
In general, suppressing cravings with SUBOXONE (for as long as necessary), together with counseling, offers the best likelihood for treatment success.

Discontinuing SUBOXONE abruptly can cause withdrawal symptoms, so when you are ready, your doctor will gradually taper your SUBOXONE dose. You should be aware of signs of relapse or withdrawal symptoms. Discard any leftover pills to ensure that they aren't used by anyone else
Hope this helps
Old 10-16-2007, 06:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank You all so much,
I guess i made my boyfriend sound leisurely..He and I have been together for 8 years where addicts together and became clean together and I know that we would never use again.Personal reasons ...We want off this medication because it to has become an addiction and I dont want that anymore. I am trying to find another dr who will give me answers or I ma going to taper myself off very slowly I have the will power to change my life I have gotten this far and the road has no turns in yet as far as I can see.
Again Thanks
SHERILEE
Old 10-17-2007, 01:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Community Greeter

Yes I agree with the others go and see another doctor if you can. All good wishes to you. Welcome to women in recovery to both newcomers, I hope you'll both continue to post.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ditto to what indie said
The Following User Says Thank You to Fluttering For This Useful Post:
2mnyovrit (03-05-2012)
Old 10-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

As a counselor I am here to tell you that you can get off of it. As a recovering alcoholic/addict you can get off of it. This really makes me mad. They say the same sh-- to some of my methadone clients. Yes it will hurt and be uncomfortable of course. One thing you must be prepare for is the mental part of the detox. I am sure you know what it is like to detox off of an opiate. make sure you have a sober support network ie friends, meetings, sponsor. You will have to have a medical detox and it may require some time. Do not just try to cut it off in 3-4 days. Talk to another doctor about a small dosage cut per week/month. One thing you must remember addiction is big business and some doctors are in it for the money not to help you Good luck and my prays are with you. You can do it!!!!!

Recovering too
The Following User Says Thank You to recovering too For This Useful Post:
sugarbear1 (01-28-2012)
Old 01-04-2008, 05:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Life is supposed to be FUN!

I know that no one has posted here in a long time, but I just came across this thread with questions about getting off Suboxone and thought I'ld throw in my 2 cents worth.

I took the drug following a 10-year addiction to pain killers, and over the course of 5 months, my doctor weaned me down to 1/2 pill (8mg/2mg) a day. That lasted for 2 months, then one month of 1/2 pill every other day, and then I was done.

Other then some mild discomfort the first few days (ibuprofen took care of that), I was fine.

Hope this helps and I hope you're on the road to recovery by now.
Joyhawk
The Following User Says Thank You to joyhawk For This Useful Post:
2mnyovrit (03-05-2012)
Old 01-08-2008, 03:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

WOW! Was I supposed to find this forum this week, or what?

Having a new sponsee who JUST ASKED ME THIS QUESTION, and having no personal experience to draw on, I can now show her this!

THANK YOU ALL!

Cilla
The Following User Says Thank You to fizzyh2o For This Useful Post:
sugarbear1 (01-28-2012)
Old 01-10-2008, 03:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

When I went to rehab 2 years ago, I detoxed off of opiates with suboxone. It was difficult because they only kept me on it for a week or so--with the amount of opiates I was taking and the duration that I took them, it should have been longer (in my own unsupported non-medical non-expert opinion!). But I did it anyway, and have managed to stay clean since (with a program, a sponsor, support, plenty of meetings and plenty of service of course).

I totally agree with finding a doctor who understands addiction, first of all. Some simple tips to help the discomfort: I took a million hot showers--so weird, but it helped so much. I was really achy, and couldn't sleep for a few days--as frustrating as that way, my counselor kept telling me "nobody ever died from lack of sleep." I hated him for it, but guess what? I'm still here. Heating pads were wonderful. And of course, I was completely emotional. Having as much support as possible is crucial. Talk about it, write about it, go to a meeting EVERY DAY you are weaning from it. Ramp up your program--it's like bringing in the back-up artillery, you know? Reinforce your foundation in recovery, and most of all, be GENTLE with yourself.

My best to you.

Red
The Following User Says Thank You to RecoveryRed For This Useful Post:
2mnyovrit (03-05-2012)
Old 01-10-2008, 04:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Hubs and i used together for long time and then cleaned up together. He took suboxone route and i did methadone detox. Taken slowly it was painless on both (about 18mths in our case).

Not advocating long detoxes. I am simply telling my experience that it doesnt have to be feared and doesnt have to be painful. I have also done short detoxes in the past that were pretty disgusting but appropriate for me at the time.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

I am currently coming off of suboxone. I was a narcotic addict for 6 yrs and have been on suboxone for over a year now. I am clean but I tried to stop the suboxone when I moved 3 states away from my doc. I could find nobody in my area that dealt with suboxone and finally did but he wanted $250 every visit ( every 2 weeks). WOW, I can not afford that with no insurance. So I tried to just stop and felt like I was going to die on day 3. I was taking 24 mg's a day and then I started reading online about how to come off of this drug. I finally got my old doc to do a one time call in so I could wean myself off. I have been doing this for a couple of months. It is not fun especially now that I am 2 days out from any. I slowly went down every week until i was just taking a qtr of a pill every other day. It sucks, no matter what you still feel like crep. Everything that I have researched and read about Suboxone is not good for those who are taking it. Trust me it caused nothing but problems for me the whole year I was on it. Sure I am clean but I just traded one drug for another. And now I am in withdrawals again! Oh well all I can do is pray and hope this is over soon. I just don't think I would ever recommend Suboxone, sorry if this doesn't help. Thanks!
Old 09-10-2008, 04:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

First of all I applaud you!! Being that I went through treatment I was on several different kinds of meds and was off the majority of them because of the way they made me feel. What's the point of getting off substances if I'm basically still using pills? That make me feel drugged??? I don't know about the suboxone but I only take my psych meds which do not get me "high" but I have found that I do need them because of all of my using I've damaged parts of my brain in ways that I'm off balance.

I suggest you call around and find out what other dr's policies are if that is possible and find one that's willing to work with you. The psych dr. that I had at the treatment center was a real JERK when I told him I didn't want to take the sleep meds he was prescribing me and looking back I still feel it was an excellent step on MY BEHALF for my recovery. Good luck!!!!
Old 02-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hey I am new to the forum. I was an opiate addict for about 5 years and thank god I have found suboxone. For a long time I wanted to quit but, I just didn't want to get sick. I started on 32mg. a day and have worked my way all the way down to 2mg. You don't feel a thing on suboxone. There is no high what so ever. For those of you who are saying that it's trading one drug for another are mistaken. And please explain to me how in the world you can be addicted to something that has no feeling. I was a daily oxycontin user and suboxone helps my cravings however, there is absolutely no feeling to it at all. If anyone is saying they feel "drugged" on it or anything then it is nothing more than a placebo effect. I mean get real!!
The Following User Says Thank You to juliet123 For This Useful Post:
TrieBl00d78 (11-11-2012)
Old 02-27-2009, 10:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Insanabile cacoethes scribendi

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliet123 View Post
Hey I am new to the forum. I was an opiate addict for about 5 years and thank god I have found suboxone. For a long time I wanted to quit but, I just didn't want to get sick. I started on 32mg. a day and have worked my way all the way down to 2mg. You don't feel a thing on suboxone. There is no high what so ever. For those of you who are saying that it's trading one drug for another are mistaken. And please explain to me how in the world you can be addicted to something that has no feeling. I was a daily oxycontin user and suboxone helps my cravings however, there is absolutely no feeling to it at all. If anyone is saying they feel "drugged" on it or anything then it is nothing more than a placebo effect. I mean get real!!
Hello, Juliet! I'm sorta new here, too, so from a fellow newbie: (((hugs))). Well, I've been addicted to opiates for over ten years or so and after two months of preparation work with my social worker, counselor, Doctor and Nurse I finally had my Suboxone induction day yesterday. I have to kind of gently correct you on one thing about it. Since everyone's body reacts differently to medication, including Suboxone, saying that there is no feeling to it, or that it's a placebo effect, isn't really true for everyone. While many people, including yourself, may feel no effects whatsoever from it, other people may feel sedation or even euphoria while on it. Though, I've heard that that goes away after a few months and you just feel "normal" on it. I've also heard that it depends on how high of a dose of opiates you were doing prior to the 48 hours of mandatory withdrawal and induction of the Suboxone. Some people, who've been on major amounts of opiates probably won't feel the sedation/euphoria effects from Suboxone, but, some, like myself, definitely will and do. It also depends on our individual body chemistry as I mentioned. Anyway, sorry to rant and ramble at you. I really hope I didn't offend you in any way. That was so not my intention. Remember to take good care of yourself. Even if you don't know it, there are people, even people you've never met nor heard of, who share your suffering and wish only the best for you.

With love, healing and :praying

~Ami
Old 11-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

I have been on suboxone for a little over a year as well. It has done wonders for me and allowed me the time to put some distance between my soul, my cravings and my sanity. And what I mean is, I have been allowed the priviledge of keeping my sanity and saving my soul. While it has helped tremendously, like all of you, I want to get off of it someday and not be comitted to this forever either.

And like the gentleman noted above, everyone will have a different reaction to the medicaation and I too felt some euphoria initially that was mild but also soothing in, it calms your nerves and allows you to think clearly. This does become more "normal" though and after a while, it is like taking any other long term medication. The difference is though, for me the fear of what will happen when I get off of them? I don't want to relapse and with suboxone, you don't even think about using! That is the beauty of it... you are allowed freedom, even if it seems false because of the "crutch" of the medication.

There is one drawback though, and I wonder if the makers now about this... don't use suboxone with nuerotin or gapatin (spelling is wrong), (for nerve treatment). Mixed together, the suboxone and neurotin will cause you to get "high" and it is a definite form of subsitution of opiates!

Best to all...

SunniDaiz..
Old 02-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

Sorry this response was so late, but I just joined this site, so hopefully people can see this. I was a heroin and oxycontin addict for about 8 years. I was actually able to taper off suboxone succesfully, so the doctor you were talking to is full of ****. I fully believe that suboxone saved my life. I NEVER would have been able to stop using if it wasn't for it. As far as your question is concerned, I always tell new suboxone users to use it as little as possible. If you take too much, your body will need that much, so if you can get through the day OK with a quarter or a half a pill, which is unlikely for heavy users, do that. But try as hard as you can to take no more than 1 a day. Take a half in the morning and another half in the afternoon. If you feel a little withdrawal, just try to tough it out, a little bit is no big deal. Remember the point is to get off drugs, not have to take subs for the rest of your life. During this time, if you can go a certain period of time without being on subs, do it until you feel crappy again. After a couple weeks to a couple of months to a year or more, start to taper your doses down a quarter of a pill per week or couple weeks. It's as easy as that. I hope that helps some of you "new" users.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #19 (permalink)

Welcome HedPEHead1969
Warm wishes
Evanna.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

new to the forum

Hi im new to the forum myself. Im 23 and been and opiate addict since i was 18 so id say about 5 years. I been on Suboxone and clean this time, for over a year. After being in the program once before for a few months and getting clean for about 6 months i relapsed worst than i ever had before and even started using opiates intravenously and that went on until i realized again i had hit rock bottom and ran back to the suboxone clinic. This time around i have been clean for over a year and a half and now i finally have the support knowledge and will power to really stay off of opiates no matter what. But no im left with the same dilemma as most people here. How do i get off this medication? And i say that again "Medication" because thats what it is. I know some of you may feel like you are just trading one thing for the other and you honestly are. But you are also trading your life of chaos for a life of sanity. And with that sanity you have to find the tools to remain clean even after you get off the sub. If you are thinkin about starting a suboxone treatment and think you cant get addicited to it because it dosent get you "high"; you are wrong. What beuprenorphine (active ingridient in suboxone or subutex) does is bind to your opiate receptors like any other opiate would, but it dosent give you the full effects of one being just a partial opiate. So it calms the craving and withdrawls without giving you a euphoric feeling; even tho some people report some wen they start the treatment. But being a narcotic it is still goin to have some kind of effect on your body even tho it might be mild and you may become accustomed to it over time, if you stop it suddenly believe everyone wen they tell you you will experience some withdrawal symptoms even tho they wont be as acute as a full blown opiate withdraw and can be tolerated.

Now i wont recommend this to anybody because i dotn want to promote the use of other substances; i found out that mild withdraw symptom can be pretty much eliminated if you go from the suboxone to a low dose of a benzo like chlonapin or valume. But you have to be aware of what you are doing and make sure you let someone alse hold the benzos for you and that you wont become addicted to them. If you already had a problem abusign benzos then id obviously would not recommend that. And again i dont recommend it to anybdoy, it was just what worked for me at the time.