Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Special-Interest Groups > Women In Recovery
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Chat Room [3]

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Community

Already registered? Login above ---^
OR
To take advantage of all Posting, Chatting, Gaming, and all the features available at SoberRecovery, join the over 100,000 current members, and become a member of our supportive community today! Ads will no longer appear on the forums, once you register.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 05:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lovinlife

Self-centered Fear

AA Thought for the Day
(courtesy AAOnline.net)

July 8, 2007

Self-centered Fear

The chief activator of our defects has been self-centered fear --
primarily fear that we would lose something we already possessed
or would fail to get something we demanded.
Living upon a basis of unsatisfied demands,
we were in a state of continual disturbance and frustration.
Therefore, no peace was to be had unless we could find a means
of reducing these demands.
The difference between a demand and a simple request
is plain to anyone.
c. 1953 AAWS, Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 76
With permission, Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

Thought to Ponder . . .
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-09-2007, 06:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

I spend so much of my time eat up with fear, at times in my life it has been paralyzing! I keep trying to improve and strengthen my conscious contact with God and work constantly on my relationship with him. Don't know why I tend to have so much trouble in this area.

Connie
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-09-2007, 08:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lovinlife

I guess that is why there is a whole inventory for it in step four. I figure it is the core of my disease and maladjustment to life. But lucky for us there is a Power and a program to help ! Although it sure takes alot of work some days !!! ( :
Old 07-09-2007, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have done so many 4th steps and of course am 1/2 way in the middle of another one . . . just wish I could "get over" this slump.

Connie
Old 07-09-2007, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lovinlife

Maybe it's just time to let step three and seven work in their time? I used to be the same way, constant inventories...trying to will myself better faster! lol...then my sponser reminded me that I am not in the results department and to let God (good orderly direction..if you prefer) do its work. Its in Gods time but I always want it in mine. As long as you are taking right action of course. ( :
Lee
Old 07-09-2007, 08:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Well, you know I qualify for many many programs, however I just can't get settled into others. I do AA and have a sponsor, but I am co dependent and an adult child as well. Sister suggests al-anon especially since now i'm in a relationship again after 3 1/2 yrs. ARGHHHH sometimes I just want to be and not have to go to this group or that group. Oh and I seek outside help, many years of counseling!!!!! Church too for what it's worth, just seems like alot. But, I'd hate to see how I'd be without it all!!!!

Connie
Old 07-09-2007, 10:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

"FEAR"..."This short word somehow touches about every aspect of our lives. It is an evil and corroding thread; the fabric of our existence was shot through with it. It set in motion trains of circumstances which brought us misfortune we felt we didn't deserve." [Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous--page 67]
When I replaced fear with faith...I was free from this corroding cancer.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Nae

Thank you for this thread. Speaking aaonline.net
i heard a great quote when i first started going to meetings online; after being on a dry drunk.

"Know Fear. No God"
"Know God. No Fear."
Old 07-09-2007, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forward we go...side by side

For anyone interested....
each day you can find
Daily Reflections
AA Thought
Bib Book Quote

here....
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-step-support/

Please come over...read and share!

Side by side...Forward we go!

Old 07-09-2007, 06:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

The best thing that works for me is trying to stay in the moment. Most of my fears are created when I am stepping back into my past or planning the future. Just try to remain in where you are for the moment.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Serenuity
I found that to be soooooo true!!! Yet I still allow myself to get back intoit..time after time.
At least now I don't spend as much time there, Talk abut imprisoned!! YUK!