Notices

Where I am...

Old 12-20-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where I am...

Well today is day 49 after test another binge...that last binge was different then the rest my wife finally had enough and forced me to leave her and the kids. I have a place of my own now and ha e been seeing an addictions councillor. It has been somewhat pretty easy to not drink and use untill now. The holidays are coming and I get called for parties from people I haven't talked to in a while and co workers who don't know my issues. The temptations are really really getting to me. My wife has told me that we are not getting back together untill I have some sober time under my belt and completely done with drinking. So I've been not at home now for 49 days and I have seen the kids on my time off from work have spent a few nights with her and the kids as well but a huge issue I'm having right now is loneliness and resentment. I know I put myself in this position and all I have been thinking about is drinking the past few days and saying f it all. I know that's not the right answer but I've drank for so long in my spare time that's all I know it seems and I have a tough time letting go of it. I've tried meetings and it actually makes me think about drinking and using more after. I feel at a loss over my addiction and like I can never quit. Will it get better in my head and the craving/ thinking about drinking ever go away? Thx for reading whoever does
Old 12-20-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your AV is trying to destroy you. Don't listen to it. The happiness it promises is not real. It tells you lies so you will think that you miss it because it wants you back. Think hard on all of the things you miss about drinking....I miss being hungover, I miss being a terrible employee, I miss not being there for my family, I miss blacking out and not remembering the previous night, I miss feeling guilty all of the time, I miss wasting money, I miss only feeling good (or even normal) when I'm drinking, I miss driving drunk and only vaguely remembering even doing it.....and so on, and on, and on.

Don't listen to the lies. I'm sure you could go on forever about the things you miss about your family.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi exitingstrategy

Have you thought about posting in Newcomers forum - you'd get more response there.

We have monthly support threads too based on when you got sober. I really recommend those for on going support

D
Old 12-21-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi exitingstrategy

Yes, the cravings do pass. I found keeping busy the best way to tame the cravings. Be it exercise or a new hobby, anything that will distract you from listening to that "voice" in your head.

Have you considered Smart Recovery? I actually combined a few programs to find the support, I desperately needed. SR was an excellent tool, especially reading, participating in the forums.

Hang in there, you can do this and reclaim your life.

Best Wishes!