Notices

Hungover but hopeful

Old 10-24-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Hungover but hopeful

Found this site today, and it's just what I need. It has a really good, positive feel to it, and thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Looking back over my drinking career, I have never been in control. Now, I'm nearly 40 and if I'm honest, my life has just been drifting, without any direction for as long as I can remember.

I resolve to quit all the time, but it always ends in failure. In the past, I've managed to go a week sober, but these days I'm lucky if I can do two. It scares me the way it's crept up on me.

I think the reason I've always failed is because I've tried to do it on my own, and I've felt each time that I was this lone weirdo in a world of drinkers. It amazes me how unsupportive friends and even family have been when I've tried to go sober. It's a real shame. I know now that the only way I can do this is by linking up with others who are doing it. I'm going along to AA on Sunday as well. Have been a few times before, and found it pretty inspiring. I just need to pluck up the courage to speak!

Anyway, where I am now, is hungover, slightly scared, slightly excited, positive, and grateful to have found this site.

Thanks people
Old 10-24-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you with us Jack. I agree - talking with others who truly understand is a huge relief. It meant everything to me to be among friends who cared. You can do this.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We truly understand the struggles. With support you can beat this. AA is a good place to go for help, and SR is "open" all day and night.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya Jack, welcome to SR.

I've found this site a great help, I'm sure you will too, as least says, it's here all the time, whenever you feel like talking or reading others experiences.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Jack

So happy you found us! The support here is amazing.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jack16 View Post
Found this site today, and it's just what I need. It has a really good, positive feel to it, and thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Looking back over my drinking career, I have never been in control. Now, I'm nearly 40 and if I'm honest, my life has just been drifting, without any direction for as long as I can remember.

I resolve to quit all the time, but it always ends in failure. In the past, I've managed to go a week sober, but these days I'm lucky if I can do two. It scares me the way it's crept up on me.

I think the reason I've always failed is because I've tried to do it on my own, and I've felt each time that I was this lone weirdo in a world of drinkers. It amazes me how unsupportive friends and even family have been when I've tried to go sober. It's a real shame. I know now that the only way I can do this is by linking up with others who are doing it. I'm going along to AA on Sunday as well. Have been a few times before, and found it pretty inspiring. I just need to pluck up the courage to speak!

Anyway, where I am now, is hungover, slightly scared, slightly excited, positive, and grateful to have found this site.

Thanks people
Good job, Jack!!
We're all pulling for you
Old 10-24-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 10-24-2014, 11:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks for the support. Day 2, and I'm not gonna have a drink. Simple.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Just think: you need never have another hangover ever again. X
Old 10-25-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, Jack. I know exactly how you feel. I am on day 2 myself today. This place here is so full of support and inspiration and will help you achieve your goals.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. NO MORE HANGOVERS ! YES
Old 10-26-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome Jack. There have been many times when I couldn't go for more than two or three days -the third day was always the killer, always gave in. But then I found this wonderful place and am now two weeks sober.

Hope you will share you recovery journey with us.