Notices

Sober yet not doing too well

Old 07-22-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober yet not doing too well

I have over 1 year sober and am struggling with depression/anxiety. I take meds yet they don't seem to help that much. I just cant believe how much time I have wasted and that depresses me to no end. I haven't been to any meetings for a while but am planning on going tonight!
Old 07-22-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I also live in a cloudy northern climate. I found out about three years ago that I had a Vitamin D deficiency. Once I started supplementing, things got much better for me. Exercise and a healthy diet are also huge for fighting depression. I have to limit caffeine and sugar to keep myself on an even keel.

Is there something in your life that is bothering you that needs to be addressed or resolved?
Old 07-22-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah that I have lost so many years of my life, not working and such. I am currently receiving SSI. Want to eventually go back to work but not sure when able to. I think I need to maybe work the 12 steps. It helped before in the past when I was sober before for 2 and a half years.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The 12 Steps may indeed help.

You'll never know unless you try, right?

I know my life has had periods of not being productive and it can cause anxiety. Are you physically able to volunteer? Maybe at a pet rescue or a nursing home or food bank?
Old 07-22-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am volunteering at a thrift store 1x per week. I guess that's not enough. I am going to California where I am originally from in 10 days, because my mother whom I currently live with, is visiting my sister for 2 1/2 weeks and I will be staying at a sober living for the time being. So I am either going to stay in Cali or come back here to Oregon. I am not sure what to do and this is causing stress and anxiety also. Thank you for your input. How long have you been sober?
Old 07-22-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcoem innercircle and jefyk

Glad to have you both here. I hope you'll both check out our Newcomers Forum as well

D
Old 07-22-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations and Welcome Innercircle!

How did your meeting go?
Old 07-23-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Being on SSI is something to be very grateful for. Many people do not get approved.

You ARE doing something important, right now. You are working on yourself, and there is a) no harder job and b) nothing more important than this. Be proud of yourself for getting and staying sober. This is no small feat!

Take this time for you, maybe go to therapy, try to make as many meetings as you can, connect with AA people, work the Steps. Maybe do some more volunteer work if you have a problem with unstructured time. Find hobbies. Exercise.

When the time is right, you will re-enter the workforce. It will be there, if you go back in one month, or ten years!

We have all wasted things in our addiction: time, potential, opportunities we will never get back. It's part of being an addict/alcoholic. We don't function. I spent my early twenties in addiction. I lost some of the "best" years of my life. I've done things I can never take back. However, it doesn't help to ruminate on these losses, because it means you are also missing out on today.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot. That is very good advice. I appreciate it. How long have you been sober, if I may ask you?
Old 07-23-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It went ok thank you
Old 07-23-2014, 11:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

11 years on 6/7/2003
Old 07-24-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad to hear Innercircle. Has the depression eased a bit? Are you still planning the California trip?

Let us know how you're doing.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The depression is a little bit better. Thank you for asking! Yes I am leaving for California on the 30th and am really worried because I am going to a sober living and the last time I was in California I stayed in one and didn't do good at all though I stayed sober. I guess I really need to work on myself and not let my emotions get the best of me. How are you by the way?
Old 07-25-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm well Innercircle, thank you for asking.

I'm happy to hear your depression is a bit better. Maybe think of this trip as an awesome adventure. A chance to meet new people and maybe a nice friend. A positive experience!

I know I had to practice gratitude daily and before I knew it, life seemed to get better.

Baby steps Innercircle, most importantly, be kind to yourself. You're worth it!
Old 07-25-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you Opivotal! Yeah I seem to be struggling a bit again. I go walking and feel like a loser! It's an awful feeling. When I got home, felt a bit better. I guess I will try the gratitude thing. I think that I need a conscious contact with a higher power. Don't have much spirituality right now. Thanks again for the input! I am James by the way.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So nice to meet you James!

You sound lonely to me... any friends you can call, to pick up your spirits? Did you get any numbers at the AA meeting?

Do you attend church? Maybe you can make an appointment for a chat with clergy? Might pick your spirits up.

Sending you hugs.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow 11 years. Thank you for your advice. It helps. I have a real long period of losses and nothing accomplished. Damn, it's hard to accept but I have to, because if I don't I will never be able to live to my fullest potential I think. Am I right? Where are you from?
Old 07-25-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yeah very. I really struggle to meet people right now, but I am going to have to if I expect to get better. Thanks again for the input! I have basically been lonely since my recovery started to now. My god am I shy. I used to drink over this.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey innercircle walking not for everybody bikeriding it changed my life I also lift weights daily as it helps to expel those negative chemicals that build up in the brain and cuase depression, anxiety low self esteem etc.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My sponcer has 12 yrs in AA and Alanon. She says she gets what she needs from both groups.
I have been told to talk to at least three people at every meeting, as I usually bring my husband ( he has dementia). It could make me depressed but I don't let it. I choose to be in a state of peachiness