What I don't miss. . . . . . .

Old 01-12-2017, 05:47 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Sharpy!

Great job on 9 months.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sharpy, great job on nine months sober! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by feprincess View Post
Is forgetting if I remembered to put a fifth in my purse before I left for work.
omg yes, I packed one or two beers for after work every day. my last days beers are still in the work fridge. a reminder
Old 04-09-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Welcome, cristinajo!
Old 04-13-2017, 07:40 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What I don't miss is giving slipshod crappy care to my dogs and cats.

The dogs and cats I have now have never known me drinking... and never will.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:55 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

I don't miss the fear of running out of vodka.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

I don't miss feeling guilty around my sober mom and sister.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:51 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

The Hangovers

If I ever quit drinking heavily, I certainly won't miss the hangovers. It's 12:45 PM on Memorial Day and here I lay in bed, thinking of the nutty things I did over the weekend and wondering why I did them. The nature of my hangovers is, I suspect, a little different from most in that anxiety I feel over my actions is akin to mental torture. I am a successful business owner and I know there is a limit to the neglect I can put my business through before cracks begin to appear. All I can do on days like this is lay in bed, and not sleep even though I am wasted tired, because the cacophony of noise inside my head won't allow sleep. Why I put myself through this is as much a mystery now as it was that first hangover which was over thirty years ago. This is an awful way to die and an even worse way to live. Congratulations to all those who have found it in themselves to quit.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Welcome, BackupPlan24.

You never have to suffer through hangovers or mental torture again. Why not get started today? Make a plan, post here for support and you can change your life. It's never to late, you don't have to die this way.

I would suggest a visit to your Doctor. He can help you with the symptoms of withdrawal.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Love this thread.

After my longest period of sobriety ever - one month and two days - and remembering when I did drink thinking to myself that since I "only" drank two to four drinks a night (but they were mostly every night) and that since I could go three days w/o a drink and without the shakes, that I DIDN'T have a problem, just reading these posts made me go "Ouch" in self-recognition.

WHAT I DON'T MISS:
Hiding vodka from my recovering alcoholic husband because, after all, I'm not the one with the problem and I deserve a drink after the day I've had. Taking a few hits from the bottle and then drinking a cup of coffee to disguise the fumes.

Always making sure I have Gas-X or Pepto-Bismol 5-symptom relief chewables in my purse because something must be wrong with my stomach. "Maybe I need probiotics so I can drink without killing off my stomach flora."

Waking up at 2 to 3 in the morning with a pounding heart AND heartburn and wondering if I'm having a heart attack. Waking up husband to comfort me. Telling him no, it's not the wine, it's the Mexican food.

Feeling some form of crappy every morning.

Getting hungry, really hungry, every two to three hours because of what I was doing to my blood sugar levels and never being able to lose more than five pounds.

Feeling utterly bored with my life.
Being irritable and somewhat depressed every day.

Only having one drink when I'm out with friends so I don't get a DUI, but then rewarding myself by having two more drinks once I get home.

Falling asleep on the couch by 8:45 every night. With my clothes and makeup on.

Procrastinating.

Worrying about breast cancer and the amount I drink - surely I don't drink THAT much.

Feeling happy every time I read an article that tells you that a glass of wine is good for you.

Yep, switching between two liquor stores.

Buying alcohol for a girls weekend (just three or four of us) and having some guy at Costco say, "Wow, you must be having quite a party! Can I come?"

Worrying about my blood pressure. Fumbling in the dark for water and a BP pill because I forgot to take the evening dose and now it's 2 am.

Worrying that I will get diabetes.

So aside from being grateful to God that I don't have those things to worry about any longer and that I didn't damage myself or anyone else more than I have, this post has opened my eyes to the denial I was in about my dependence on alcohol and how much I didn't want to own that. Thank you to everyone who ever posted on this thread. I recognized myself in all of you, and you have only helped reinforce my decision and desire not to drink.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:24 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't miss neglecting my dogs and cats because of my drinking.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:56 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 43395 View Post
The Sobrety Calendar tells me that, 616 days have now passed since I my sober recovery commenced, something, in my case I never expected to happen so I got to thinking about a couple of the things I don't miss,

I don't miss staring at that pool of clear, blue water seconds before the first bout of reverse parasolsis hits and I vomit into the toilet bowl!

I don't miss the fact that now when my lips move it is more than likely I am actually telling the truth.

I don't miss the fear that arose when I'm driving my car every time a police car hoves into view.

What I like is enlarging my spiritual existence, particularly when I sit still in the morning with my first cup of tea, smoke a cigarette and know where I slept last night, even if it is now on my own because now I'm learning to like me and if I like me, other people will like me to.Michael.
Well said
Old 10-21-2017, 10:25 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising

U got me thinking

It brought chills and tears to me when i read that when your lips move now you are telling the truth. I can relate. I thought. Id go ahead and add some things i dont miss about using.
I dont miss feeling like im wasting away by spending my days Consumed with drugs and all that goes with it.
I dont miss the consistent empty feeling i always had and trying to fill it with all the wrong things.
I dont misa being afraid to look in the mirror.
I dont miss the abuse i endured from people in different situations in my life where of course, drugs were the cause of.
I dont miss the deperation i had for company which made me willing to keep ANY company.
Dont miss the sadness in my families eyes
Dont miss the stories about how i acted crazy and cant even remember what really happened.
I dont miss the hate i had for myself.
I dont miss chasing drugs.
I dont miss shooting the **** with other users.
I dont miss waking up with a hangover that would last til 5 pm.
I dont miss the public intox, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest charges i received multiple times. Definitely dont miss waking up in jail not remembering what happened.
Do not miss how my nieces were scared of how id act that day.
I do not miss feelinf like i was not worthy of anything good.
I do not miss feeling like my light had been put out.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:50 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nelco View Post
I hope to never say that. I am very grateful to be a part of a wonderful fellowship.. lucky me. I am helping 5 people through the steps at the moment and passing on all that was gave to me. Lord it keeps me so full of love, I am learning more each day about love and a spiritual way of living.

I dont miss that phone off the hook or the fear of the "unknown"
Different things work for different people.

I don’t miss:
Waking up wondering if my family knew I had been drinking the night before
The anxiety
The hiding of bottles
The lying
The borrowing money from my kids
The fatigue
The circular thinking
The shakes
Being irrational
The list goes on and on and on
Old 11-09-2017, 07:16 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Same!

The Sobrety Calendar tells me that, 616 days have now passed since I my sober recovery commenced, something, in my case I never expected to happen so I got to thinking about a couple of the things I don't miss,

I don't miss staring at that pool of clear, blue water seconds before the first bout of reverse parasolsis hits and I vomit into the toilet bowl!

I don't miss the fact that now when my lips move it is more than likely I am actually telling the truth.

I don't miss the fear that arose when I'm driving my car every time a police car hoves into view.

What I like is enlarging my spiritual existence, particularly when I sit still in the morning with my first cup of tea, smoke a cigarette and know where I slept last night, even if it is now on my own because now I'm learning to like me and if I like me, other people will like me to.Michael.
I love driving sober and never worrying for being pulled over!!! Safer for me and everyone else.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:12 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

This is going to be kind of hard to write out, but here goes.

I don't miss losing 2-4 days a week either being drunk or recovering.
I don't miss throwing up every few minutes for hours and hours the day after a major binge.
I don't miss laying in bed all day and closing the door on my young son while I recovered from a massive hangover.
I don't miss almost forgetting important events like a school event for my son last May in celebration of mother's day. I showed up but I was so hungover that I couldn't do more than just sit there and try not to throw up or fall asleep. I had been up the night before with a new "best friend" I met outside a bar the night before and never saw again.
I don't miss losing progress at the gym because I can't workout hungover.
I don't miss being dehydrated all the time.
I don't miss having "friends" who are just people I drink with. I actively avoided people who don't drink.
I don't miss the random drama and fights that break out when a group of people get together and drink. Especially if that group is a family of alcoholics. So many terrible things have been said and for some reason those are always the nights I remember the best.
On that note, I don't miss blacking out and having to piece together what happened the night before. Especially if that led to the shameful realization that I drove home in a blackout.
I don't miss fighting with my husband when drunk.
I don't miss closing myself off in a room with music and whiskey for hours at a time instead of going out and enjoying life. I usually ended up either pathetically "sexy" dancing alone or crying uncontrollably.
I don't miss forgetting half of my vacation or having the schlep around a tourist attraction with a pounding headache and wanting to vomit.
I don't miss attending really amazing sports games but only remembering what happened in the first half.

I could probably go on and on, but I will leave it here.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:33 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

I don't miss spending all the money i have on drugs and alcohol,
the insecurity and guilt,
the loneliness and feeling utterly lost in life, no sense of self....
I don't miss living life ignoring God, living life on my own terms.
I am truly so much happier now
Old 01-18-2018, 08:27 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't miss waking up feeling horrible and hating myself.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:25 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

When I drink the way Ken wants to drink, it doesn't take long before my spirit and soul goes to a deep, dark place. I feel so isolated, so lonely, and so demoralized that all I want is more oblivion, and at the end of my drinking even the booze stopped bringing me that relief.

I sure as hell don't miss feeling that way.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:33 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Exactly the same for me. I used to have a constant fear of getting stopped when driving and my heart would nearly cave in when I seen a police car. In fact my usual pattern was to carefully work out how many drinks I could have that would mean I was just under the legal limit the following morning, which I then completely ignored once I started drinking! Such a massive relief to no longer have that feeling of dread any more