Disappointment

Old 01-21-2006, 02:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Disappointment

It feels lousy to be disappointed, whether it is by other people, by circumstances, or by your own mistakes. And yet, in each disappointment there is also opportunity.

When a disappointment comes, acknowledge it and feel it for what it is. Then quickly step away from it and take a more objective look.

You'll discover that in the larger context of your life, that disappointment can have positive value. Though one door has been closed to you, many more have just been opened.

From each disappointment you can gain knowledge, motivation, perspective and a more clearly defined purpose. From each disappointment, you can learn much about life and about yourself, much that will help you move on ahead.

When life lets you down, there is value to be found in that disappointment. Quickly get back up and begin to live that value.

When you go forward, you will occasionally stumble. And when you choose to positively recover from those stumbles, you'll move more quickly ahead.

-- Ralph Marston
Old 01-21-2006, 06:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I have often been disappointed by circumstance or by people, and find that taking my lesson and just moving on is the best way to get past this obstacle.

Circumstances are easier disappointments to handle, perhaps because I feel I have no control anyway, but when people disappoint me, I feel that my judgement must be lacking in some way and can struggle with this for a while before I am able to let go and accept that they never were what they purported to be. I have learned to take my time before trusting anyone, and to pay close attention to how trustworthy they are or are not.

Trust and respect must be earned, and either they are there or they are not, there is no middle ground.

Hugs
Ann
Old 01-21-2006, 02:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I bite.

How disappointing is it that I typed out a huge post and for some reason can't get it to post? I did Cut & Paste it so I have it saved but for some reason it won't post it (maybe the text is corrupted somehow?) I have spent nearly an hour trying to figure it out.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I bite.

okay, I am retyping the whole thing all over again.....

I am very very depressed lately over a friend I had. The relationship has been breaking apart slowly for a while now. Just when I think it can't get any worse, it does. I too call into question my own judgement: "am I reading something the wrong way?, is it not as it seems to me?"

Finally, when I mentally step back and look at it in concrete terms, the only conclusion I have come to is that it has not been my fault. When some lies and is caught, that cannot be my fault. But why do I feel like it is or that I have done something wrong? Maybe I should write the whole thing out so people can judge for themselves. Anyway....

And so because has meant so much to me I tried to let the lie go. But then another one happened. It seems to have become a pattern. So I think I need to just let the whole friendship go. As painful as that is. And it is very much so. I am so torn up over it. But clearly this person does not respect me, right?

I admit that this person brought a lot of joy into my life. Maybe that is my fault.... a sign my own house is not in order or something.

But right now I am struggling. Will I ever feel so comfortable and at ease around another person again?
Old 01-21-2006, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Life!

Yea, I'm struggling with a major disappointment now too. It's a workplace issue. And it's a disappointment because people who are in a specific role are not doing their job. That makes my job much more difficult.
I understood why the dean reneged on her responsibility. She wanted her girl in the job. Politics at play. I fully understand it. She pissed me off, but, I wasn't so much "disappointed" in her.
It is the principal I'm disappointed in. I started the year at this new school without a principal, and it looks like, even though there is a body in the principal's office, there is still no leadership.
I'm having a bit of a difficult time moving ahead. I'm stuck in this job for the time being. Either I get placed in a different position, which could be tomorrow or could be three years from tomorrow; or I move to FL away from the problem.
And as hard as I am trying to be objective about this, it's proving difficult. This is cutting to the core of my professional reputation. I'm being completely undermined at school, and the problem is spreading to other kiddies. They've learned they can do just about anything, and they are given credence over me! This is almost as hurtful as my son's addiction. I will always be a teacher, even if I stop doing the work of teaching; and my son will always be my addict son. It's just hard.
The only gratifying thing is the support of my fellow teachers and the union. And the loving people here at SR.
Because I cannot, for the life of me, begin to fathom where the principal is coming from...

Disappointment. It's a part of life. It's good when we can dust ourselves off and move on with a new perspective. I want to move on. But, being stuck, at least for the time being, is making it very difficult. It's just good to know that there will be an end to this, even if I have to force it with a grievance. But, it needs to end.

Sorry, I got carried away with this story again. It's a major disappointment to me. And I do need to move past it soon. It's dragging me down. And I can't let the b*st*rds get me down. :nono:

Shalom!