A Responsibility to Use Our Talents?

Old 08-12-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Responsibility to Use Our Talents?

I've been doing a lot of soul searching and thinking lately... do we have some sort of responsibility or place in society to make use of the talents and abilities we were gifted with (or developed)?

Since many alcoholics and addicts seem to come from a place of living as an "island unto ourselves"... the fend for ourselves mentality... I'm wondering, as we mature into sobriety, just how many of us begin to face this question?

It seems that I'm feeling like I do have a responsibility lately... to use my particular talents. And this is subtly changing for me, from the desire to display my talents (the "Me" show) to more of a desire to fit in somewhere in society, where my talents will be helpful and useful to others as well... finding my place or way.

So, maybe a moral imperative to use our talents for the good of others, as well as doing what we do best and enjoy doing, of course... meaning, that it will benefit me as well as others who are helped in some way by me using my talents. Hope this is clear Just sharing my thoughts...
Old 08-12-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I believe we all have natural God given gifts and I know for myself that if I'm not using my gifts I'm not happy with who I am!
Old 08-12-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Writing is such a solitary undertaking and career, and so I guess there's a philosophical debate in my mind going on over it... just how much of it is for me, and how much of it is for others? The obvious, is that... well, it's for my audience or readers. But I guess I'm just questioning what is motivating and inspiring me. I've always had the writer gene Not questioning that at all. But I guess, with sobriety, there is a shift now in things... shift in perspective, and in spirituality and maybe morality. So, that means there will be a big shift possibly in my material. Also considering teaching in the future, with an MFA in mind. It won't just be about me anymore.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I don't think there is any responsibility to use our talents for the society, the common good, or any other purpose whatsoever. Rather, we come to realize we are solely responsible for creating the purpose of our lives. We must then assume responsibility for using our talents and skills to fulfill this purpose.

Of course, there is research to show that how we define our life's purpose directly influences our satisfaction with life; and generally that purpose is that of a "giver".
Old 08-12-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
I've been doing a lot of soul searching and thinking lately... do we have some sort of responsibility or place in society to make use of the talents and abilities we were gifted with (or developed)?
I enjoyed this post and believe that asking ourselves such questions is part of the new journey, regardless of the answers we uncover. For myself, the question can be asked on a multitude of platforms, and the answer will change...I've referred to the concept as quantum morality before.

For instance, if I were to operate in a secular world, then yes; if I am a writer, then I should write. If I choose instead to be a kept man, with no obligations to a greater society, then I believe that I would be acting selfishly by not sharing my gift with the world.

What of the reclusive monk though? Is he being selfish? I don't believe so. I think that as individual bags of a whole consciousness, raising the consciousness of one individual raises the whole. So operating on a spiritual platform, I believe that a writer could forgo writing and still meet their obligations to society.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Very interesting, thanks Legna You've touched on some things I was also thinking about... was wondering if a writer could forgo writing and still be (1) happy, and still have (2) fulfilled a responsibility or duty to society. Good stuff.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
I think there is a difference between a talent and something we want to do.

When I first started looking for volunteer work, a lot of people started talking about how I could use my musical abilities in a way to help people. First of, it had never crossed my mind to do that, and secondly I was surprised how opposed to that idea I was. Although I have a talent in that area I really didn't want to use it. Which has left me thinking that the extent of my musical ability was largely imposed rather than naturally sought. I know lots of other 'reluctant' musicians too so I don't think this is an uncommon occurrence.

Personally I have always wanted to help others because I always had a lot of empathy for people who struggled with life. Before I quit drinking however I didn't feel able to because I thought it would be hypocritical because I hadn't been able to deal with my own problems. Now I feel incredibly dissatisfied with my current line of work because I don't see it as very helpful. But I am not sure I will be using any of my 'talents' or current qualifications in an effort to help people, and I'm okay with that
Old 08-12-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hmm... good points, Hypo... might largely depend on whether our talents are imposed upon us somehow or are naturally developed, and whether we enjoy and value them enough.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I'm a writer as well. I've volunteered my writing skills to create pamphlets for organizations, helped groups write mission statements, bylaws, etc. Written plays for children to put on etc.

I don't feel there is an absolute responsibility...cosmically ordained...but I feel a personal responsibility to contribute to the society that supports me. I can do that in any number of ways. I don't know that it has to be in a particular talent field, but if we are gifted in an area it makes sense to use that gift for the good of many.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

This is quite an interesting question. It has had me thinking a bit. I think that the answer comes down to what a person believes about the nature of this existence and what values they hold as a result. In this light, the question then becomes “responsibility to whom or to what”.

I guess it also has to do with how you find meaning in life. Some people seem to be more or less satisfied by just meeting their own needs. Some expand this circle to include a significant other and family. Others can expand it still further to their community and finally (at least as far as human beings are concerned) to society itself.

To my way of thinking, from infancy to full maturity this circle expands naturally. For some the development is slowed or fully arrested by traumatic events and adversity. For others, this is exactly what was needed to reach the next level.

The process is characterized by increasing freedom from the boundaries of self. It’s characterized by a sort of spiritual development if you will. It’s characterized by love.

IMO, just by asking this question, you are going in the right direction Jennie.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was hoping you'd comment, Awuh. If I recall, you are the one who commented in one of my past threads and actually got me thinking in this direction I believe, at the time, I chastise you somewhat for it! Lol.

Anyway... guess I'm changing a bit? And thanks.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
To my way of thinking, from infancy to full maturity this circle expands naturally. For some the development is slowed or fully arrested by traumatic events and adversity. For others, this is exactly what was needed to reach the next level.
For me, reaching the next level is the meaning of life. I don't think we are all on different paths but rather at different mile-markers. That is why some of us need to be socially successful while others just need to find Peace Of Mind, Joy & Sense Of Purpose in solitude.