The alcohol-smoking connection

Old 05-29-2005, 08:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The alcohol-smoking connection

Hey all,

Just wondering how many of you have quit smoking/drinking at the same time and what advice you can give me. I am having a hard time breathing today, and the thought of getting alcohol for later, just in case, is crossing my mind.

I am detoxing and know that anxiety levels peak right around now, which doesn't help. I have asthma and take 2 pills a day to breath. I'd quit smoking drinking for 17/19 days, respectively, and it was so much better. Then I lost momentum. The smoking and drinking go hand in hand. It's only a matter of time (usually 10 to 14 days) before my lungs really tighten up and I drink to relax them. I have an inhaler but I only save it for dire emergencies, as I live in fear that if I use it too often it won't work if I ever really need it. I've been told drinking is not the cure for asthma. I know, I know, but it works. It would seem my only solution is to stop smoking now.

Anyway, it's all mixed up. I am going to try not to smoke anymore today, but I am scared of waking up gasping for breath in the middle of tonight, as I have on several occasions when at this stage of detoxing. What a mess. I want to just break through this once and for all. I know the answer is NOT to buy alcohol, just in case. Any advice? I've been smoking like a fiend as a result of the past week. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I'm not a doctor, but I'd say it's better to use you inhaler than to drink, you might want to check that with a professional, but that's what I think.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Call your doctor for two reasons.
First, to find out the reasons why your lungs tighten up during this stage of detox, andto see if it's normal and if there is anything that can help.
Second, to get help with the detox.
You know drinking is not the answer. You know smoking will kill you - especially with asthma. (I'm a smoker but don't have asthma; I KNOW how hard it is to quit.
Please give your doc a try before buying booze. It will only make matters worse for you.
Wishing you the best!
Shalom!
Old 05-30-2005, 02:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, tyler. I didn't go to the store. I am not tired either, but will try to sleep. Tomorrow I won't buy anymore cigarettes and I'll put the patch on. It will be very hard to go to AA with all those cigarettes, but I'll give it a shot.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

smoking/drinking

I can only share my experience. I gave up smoking before drinking but used herbal cigarettes (which smelled similar to bushfires). I didn't care what anyone else thought - it was my way. I still have them around for that moment of insanity when I really want one. It took me 6 years later to give up the booze but now I replace booze with AA.

Prayers.