Does any one know of any recovery movies?

Old 09-26-2010, 08:24 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

So I watched "Don't Get Outta the Boat."

It's set in an SLE with several men. Lots and lots of yelling, and f-bombs (practically every other word from every character). It was loud, angry and obnoxious. The end was okay though and showed why having a recovery program is so important.

I give it two stars (**). Men might give it three.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:05 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
belac

Basket Ball Diaries is a good one it has Leonardo Dicaprio, and Mark Wahlberg
Old 01-01-2011, 07:51 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Walk the Line
Old 01-01-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Rachael Getting Married.... Starring Anne Hathaway.. A must see! NOT a chick flick!! It's about a girl getting a pass from rehab to attend her sister's wedding and how her family accepts her (or doesn't!!) Fabulous!!
Old 01-01-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Dismember

"Under the Volcano." Based on the novel. It's not about recovery, but it does carry a lot of good insights into alcoholism, and Albert Finney is jaw-droppingly magnificent in his role.

"21 Grams." One of my favorite movies of all time. There are three interwoven stories in the film, one is about a recovering alcoholic played by Benicio del Toro. Like "Leaving Las Vegas" and "Requiem for a Dream" it gets pretty disturbing at times.

"A Drunkard's Reformation." Might not be your cup of tea as it's a very, very old silent film by one of the great directors of all time, Griffith. I like it because the plot is incredibly simple and straightforward.

"Written on the Wind." Really good film by Douglas Sirk.

And there's also Looney Tune's tribute to 12 Step programs. Sylvester joins a support group called Birds Anonymous. It's available here but you have to sit through a Romanian commercial first: Trilulilu - Birds Anonymous . . . - Video Anima?ie
Old 01-06-2011, 11:25 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post

And there's also Looney Tune's tribute to 12 Step programs. Sylvester joins a support group called Birds Anonymous. It's available here but you have to sit through a Romanian commercial first: Trilulilu - Birds Anonymous . . . - Video Anima?ie
This is awesome!! LOL! I was looking up information about the this and did you know that this cartoon won an academy award? An Oscar!

Thank you so much!

p.s. There was no commercial for me.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

re recovery movies

I would say the best film I have seen about this was a small not very advertised movie about a man who came to saving faith in the process of his recovery.The title was "Against all Hope". It was the story of a man named Cecil Moe. It's not a gory or slick Hollywood production, and it's not some film that plays fast and lose. Just a simple story of a real man with a quiet, true message.

As for other recovery films, I suppose it depends on the kind of recovery.
Some films can be very healing but not, parse, have to do with alcohol at all.
The one I mentioned is though. Yes, the one with Meg Ryan and Andy Garcia is a good one.

Pay It Forward had some related themes.

If I can think of anymore will share them sometime.

But the Cecil Moe one was good.

Last edited by sapphire0303; 01-06-2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: typo :^)
Old 01-06-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

here are some details about the film

Against All Hope (1982) - IMDb

I found it to be a touching and genuinely lovely film..

the 'crazy credits' comment should be overlooked on that link
whoever said it clearly has no idea about the theme or the film..
Old 02-09-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Requiem for a Dream is very good. Also, An Unfinished Life is literally about the challenges of recovery, as opposed to being just a movie about people who use and their problems. I didn't find it cheesy, but it is a Jennifer Lopez movie.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:58 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Acts of Worship. It is an indie film about a young woman addicted to crack and other drugs. It is very good. It is available on netflix to stream.

Also, one of the more horrifying depictions of the downward spiral of meth addiction- Most High, also on netflix to stream. Although being an alcoholic is no cake walk, it makes me very glad I never tried that drug.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:08 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

In my view Midnight Express and 28 days are good recovery movies.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:01 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Barfly. Just sayin...
Old 02-19-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Factotum, watched it last night through Netflix.

It’s simply about a man who is an alcoholic; one that knows he’ll never live any other way and deals with it accordingly.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

a funny recovery film....28 days, staring Sandra Bullock.

It is not serious so dont expect it to be. But its quite amusing, and in the film there were some priceless moments that make you see the real problems she faces.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

16 Years of Alcohol

If you've got Netflix, give it a watch. It's got some 'meh' reviews, but I enjoyed it.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Recovering Alchie

I Thought id add this here , its not a movie but a documentary about alcoholism in the UK but I found it very good.

YouTube - Rain In My Heart (1 of 10)
Old 03-25-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

These movies I'm still waiting to see.

One is french an is called "Applause" or something with that word in it. NPR gave it great reviews.
The other is "The Bowery". also great reviews. Old movie brought back recently
http://www.npr.org/2011/02/24/134034...ns-To-Theaters

Just saw less than zero again and it blew me away!
Old 03-27-2011, 01:28 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Jane Fonda in "The Morning After".
She was nominated up for an Academy Award
for it.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Factory Girl - Sienna Miller plays Edie Sedgwick, adored muse to Andy Warhol. She fell down a slippery slope of speed, heroin, and booze. A privileged yet traumatic upbringing caused some damage and the 60s nyc scene pushed her over the edge. No happy ending here, but a great movie for sure!
(Just look past the fact that hayden christiansen is supposed to be bob dylan :P)
Old 05-07-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoNowWhat View Post
Factory Girl - Sienna Miller plays Edie Sedgwick, adored muse to Andy Warhol. She fell down a slippery slope of speed, heroin, and booze. A privileged yet traumatic upbringing caused some damage and the 60s nyc scene pushed her over the edge. No happy ending here, but a great movie for sure!
(Just look past the fact that hayden christiansen is supposed to be bob dylan :P)

Oh and 'country strong' is newer..was ok..it does really show how distanced our loved ones can become when they just can't take it anymore. The bird in the box really gets me..aww

Theres also 'Somewhere,' about a famous drunk actor..its interesting to me how many hollywoods actors are used as entertaining puppets no matter the cost to them personally...but i guess that really could be said about all sorts of people.
It's a movie by Sofia Coppola..if you're familiar with her style, the pictures tend to be understated and more about scenery than dialogue. So if you're into that, then go for it