Philosophy for Life...

Old 08-16-2017, 02:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Philosophy for Life...

In my recovery, stretching back well over nine years now, a day at a time.

I have found it both enhanced and strengthened by adopting, as it progresses a philosophy bounded by Marcus Aurelius saying,'The time we have assigned to us is limited. If you do not use it to free yourself t is gone and will never return'.

Assisted by this, from Richard Bach to which I've added, having regard to all the circumstances, 'Let the world choose how it wishes to live. Allowing yourself to live as you choose.'

Which I've adopted as my philosophy for life and other dangerous situations...

Which perhaps those who read this can add to?
Old 08-16-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

the Stoics are always good for a quote I like Epictetus's "Men are disturbed not by things, but by the view they take of things", which became the basis for Albert Ellis to develop REBT
Old 08-17-2017, 02:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Stoic philosophy

I have a great interest in both Stoic and Buddhist philosophy, they compliment each other! First attracted to the former because of it being referenced to on the website Stoicism Today and in three of my collection of books on the subject.

The latter because it played an early part in my learning to deal with the -ISMS in alcohol-ISM.

Alcohol being but a symptom of the disease/illness, the -ISM@bbeing life, in recovery itself!

As Joe McQuany said,'The secret of life may not be life itself, but managing life itself.'
Old 08-28-2017, 01:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Redmayne

I'm a great believer in..

I initially joined SR in the belief that there was undiminished value in sharing my experience, strength and hope with others to help both them and myself recover...

A belief that remains stronger and firmer to this day....
Old 09-19-2017, 01:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Redmayne

A constructive observation...

A constructive observation, thank you. Along with others in my growing collection of books on the subject of Stoic philosoph Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius and Pierre Hadot. Jules Evans,'Philosophy for Life and Other Dangerous Situations,' is one of my favorites, used to enhance and strengthen my recovery....
Old 09-19-2017, 09:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good books help to yourself recover
Old 09-19-2017, 11:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Changing your perspective...

Enormously so...I like the analogy of saying my disease illness is called alcohol-ISM, the alcohol being but a symptom.

In recovery, having lead, in my drinking days the delusional life that, even as a 'high functioning alcoholic' I had to learn to live with the -ISM's i.e. life itself.

Stoic philosophy not only helped but dave me a way of life that strengthens and enhances it,enormously on a daily basis.

Ironis because I was first attracted to ir because of its, mentioned in at least three of my growing collection of books, I have on the subject with 'The Serenity Prayer'...and this frrom William Knaus, one of the pioneers of cognitive behaviour,'What happened to you may not be your fault, but it is your responsibility to think about it.'