Courage,compassion,integrity and common sense

Old 08-04-2017, 10:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Courage,compassion,integrity and common sense

The four qualities I admire in those recovering from, in my case, alcoholism. Although I suspect this includes addiction, any addiction are,

Courage - in the ability to recognise and accept it presence in your life and its effects on it and your environment.

Compassion - 'If your compassion does not include yourself then it us incomplete' - the Dalai Lama.

Integrity - in dealing with both others and themselves, on a daily basis. Whatever the situation.

Common sense - perhaps best evidenced in Seneca saying,'Drunkenness is voluntary madness.'

If you add to this the fact that alcoholism is the only disease/illness that will kill you, whilst at the same time telling you, you haven't got it.
I don't think it's too hard to see the part, these rarely mentioned qualities play in both in recovery and in life itself. Which is after all what recovery is all about. just a thought...
Old 08-06-2017, 06:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2017, 05:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

My pleasure...

Now well over nine years sober and having recently, last Sept., had, quite unexpectedly had the experience of a life saving operation followed as part of it by spending five weeks in a medically induced coma recovery from the effects of which are not for the faint hearted, trust me) with an ongoing recovery from which. It's not changed but enhanced my recovery from , as a 'high functioning alcoholic' my recovery from drinking.

It's made me realize that there are greater qualities, found in all of us with a bit of determined, uncompromised thinking or perception than I had first realised...

That said, it's the quality not quantity of recovery that matters.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Redmayne

A Stoic is a Buddhist with...

Now in my ninth year of recovery from alcoholism I now find my journey in recovery includes an interest in the practices of both Stoic and Buddhist philosophy , they compliment each other. I was first attracted to Stoicism because of its links ton 'The Serenity Prayer', mentioned in three of my collection of books on the subject.

'A Stoic is a Buddhist with attitude' - Nassim Nicholas Taleem

Favourite sayings from each,

'Drunkenness is voluntary madness' - Seneca

'Anything that contradicts logic and reason should be abandoned' - the Dalai Lama
Old 08-28-2017, 03:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Those qualities you name and describe are exactly those who are warriors- the path of the warrior is what my journey is about. Being grateful for my alcoholism- "a peculiar gift"- and keeping just those qualities in focus- through a fit spiritual condition, humility, living in Steps 1, 10, 11 and 12 all support emotional sobriety.

The not drinking part is simply the beginning, for those of us who want more. There is so much more out there, including just those things you describe, to a wonderful life in recovery. Continuing to learn as I have gained sober muscles over 18 plus months with the humble belief that the only successful finish line is to die sober....it's a great journey.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Redmayne

The Way of the Warrior.

As part of my ongoing journey in recovery, which, to my amazement has now, a day at a time, existed well over nine years. No room for complacency, remember we deal with alcohol, cunning, baffling, powerful!

I now see myself as a self directed student of the practices and principles of Stoic philosophy.

Which, reflecting on your post has me as a Stoic Warrior or Warrior of Virtue. I don't make light of this, even in recovery, it's not easy but following my unexpected trip to hospital in early Sept., last year, a week prior to my 70th birthday. My treatment involving a life saving operation followed by five weeks in a medically induced coma plus another two months in hospital.

As I slowly regained and still am to a certain extent my physical and mental abilities, the one thought that remained with me was that in all that time, particularly in the time spent in a coma. The world, unsurprisingly, could do with out me.

The benefit of which being that I , having regard to all the circumstances, could do without it.

Or as Richard Bach more succinctly put it,'Let the world live as it chooses. Allowing yourself to live as you choose.'

I choose the Way of the Warrior... and the virtues it encompasses. Thank you for your words, whilst we may never meet it's a great comfort to me that someone shares my philosophy. Which when you consider sharing experience, strength and hope is what recovery is all about.