Responsibility...

Old 07-04-2017, 06:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Responsibility...

The following countenance my thoughts, in recovery everyday along with 'The Serenity Prayer' in a way, accepting that whilst others may share their experience, strength and hope with you. Sobriety is an individual responsibility, gifted to no one else....

'What happened to you may not be your fault. But it is your responsibility to think about it.' - William Knauss, one of the pioneers of Cognitive Behaviour.

'You have power over your mind, not outside events - realize this and you will gain strength'. - Marcus Aurelius, one of , along with Epictetus and Seneca, the three 'greats' of Stoic or 'street', it is not a dry, academic, philosophy.

All of which enhance the basic logic and reason in strengthening and enhancing in what, I think is the responsibility, to ourselves and those around us, in giving the best opportunity to what for those of us who have 'suffered under the lash of John Barleycorn' to us.

Bearing in mind, it's always a good idea to 'think before you start thinking' and 'anything that contradicts logic and reason should be abandoned' a Buddhist saying. The former being supplied by a recovering alcoholic...

Last edited by Redmayne; 07-04-2017 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Addition of
Old 07-11-2017, 08:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wish that kind of logic and good sense could have penetrated my substance-soaked mind back in the day! Thanks for the post!
Old 07-12-2017, 03:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

We're all guilty of that....

Thanks for your response. You're not alone, we're all guilty of that, and how!

And that speaking as one whose life echoes the second part of Soko Morinaga's book 'Novice to Master - An Ongoing Lesson in the Extent of My Own Stupidity' ....