Leading a happy and flourishing life...

Old 04-22-2017, 11:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Leading a happy and flourishing life...

In recovery, hopefully followed by prolonged and lasting sobriety built on quality not quantity.

I'm guided by the suggestion that you gather things around you, including people so that the next thing you know is that they become your life! Which also suggests an element of discernment is required.

I now see myself, undertaken in an effort to make spiritual progress as a self directed student of both Stoic and Buddhist philosophy. First attracted to the former by its links to 'The Serenity Prayer.'

Which enhances my belief in the 'God of my understanding', whom may not be yours or anyone else's God, whether a He, She or It, but is personal to me...

All of which, especially by their very nature, allow me to pursue my aim, and I suspect is the same for most of us, whether in recovery or not, of leading a happy and flourishing life. Itself built on good mental health, which after all is the only thing we really possess ... lose that and you, at the very least. As I found out when I drank a lot, run the risk of losing everything ... and I nearly did! On more than one occasion...
Old 04-23-2017, 01:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good thoughts- RM. The precepts of most religious/belief systems are pretty similar if boiled down. For me- all I want now is peace for me and those I caused harm to by drinking. Namaste.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Peace...

Thank you, I'm going to post a thread about peace which I hope you also like...
Old 04-23-2017, 06:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I will be here.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good thoughts.

Along the lines of what you are saying- this kind of thinking is why you will hear me say things like "I am ruthless about who gets a seat at my table" and "I live in 1, 10 and 12 [steps]" and such. My focus is on living my own best life, based on God & AA - physical sobriety truly takes a back seat to emotional sobriety. If the latter is maintained, built, tended to daily, the former is assured as my problem stays removed. Acceptance, honesty, ceding control and accountability are some of the "watch words" for my life.

Best kind of life I can imagine.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Redmayne

I support all your comments...

Great post, I'm always open to constructive comment and criticism especially when it's written in an articulate, intelligent manner, thank you...

I agree with and support all you have to say...

'It may be that life is not about life itself but how we manage life itself' - Joe McQuany, first heard in one of 'Joe & Charlie's: Big Book Study Meetings.'