What is Recovery?

Old 04-15-2017, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober AF Since 3/20/16

What is Recovery?

(Cross-posted from the alcoholism forum. Mods - if this is verboten, just let me know and I'll take it down)

Recovery isn't just conquering the urge to drink. Recovery isn't about a constant struggle with the demons tormenting you to pick up the bottle. Recovery starts when you've taken a good long look at why the allure of going full blotto is so seductive to you, and have taken the first steps toward overcoming these obstacles. When this happens, those demons start to leave you alone. It won't happen overnight, nor in a month. And if you're like me, you might spend a lifetime trying to crack the code in all of its glorious, minute detail. But that doesn't mean that the journey can't be a sweet and wonderful process of self-discovery.

I seriously doubt that any of us got here because we just loved the taste of booze so much that we simply lost control. No, we're here because we all used alcohol to fill a void (or two, or three...) in our lives. The void could be loneliness, fear, self-doubt, anxiety, guilt, shame, depression, or a combination of these. These feelings made us uncomfortable, they gnawed at us and tormented us. Alcohol was the perfect cure - but only as long as we continued to drink. When we sobered up, they were waiting for us in all their grotesque, treacherous glory, just aching to torment us again.

For me, it was depression and self-doubt. And no, I haven't been "cured" of these yet. They still creep into my day at unexpected times. But when they do, I now have the courage to face them down, knowing that they're only temporary. Reaching for a bottle isn't going to help, and I now know that deep within my soul.

And you know something? It goes away just as quickly as it comes on now. Instead of the crippling, booze-fueled depression lasting for months, I can usually shake it off with a good workout, meditation (note: not mediCation!) and an hour or two chatting with my besties here on SR.

Recovery isn't the path of least resistance. But it is the path of greatest reward.

Have a beautiful, sober day!

Fitch
Old 04-25-2017, 01:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Redmayne

For me recovery, like everything in life is what you make it which suggests that as we all exist in our state of mind it is in your perception....

And perception, for whatever our initial impressions may be more often relies on quality not quantity e.g.

' Everything you hear is opinion NOT fact,

Everything you see is perception NOT truth.' - Marcus Aurelius

Which in turn suggests that recovery, like prolonged and lasting sobriety is an individual responsibility. How you and others perceive it is a matter for all those involved ...
Old 04-25-2017, 11:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

What is recovery? Freedom from alcohol, or freedom from self? It was self that brought on the torment. Alcohol = the good times. Except I overshot the good times, becoming insanely drunk. I was not in "full flight from reality" I was in the grip of a craving beyond my power to control.

Then it was back to self, torment, drink for good times and repeat. I have known one or two like me who went back to self and the torment, but with an iron will resisted the booze, and they took their own lives.

Freedom from alcohol or freedom from self?
Old 04-25-2017, 11:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Can I suggest...

Can I suggest , based on my own experience that recovery followed by prolonged and lasting sobriety provides freedom from alcohol (which is but a symptom) and freedom from my delusional self and , as a 'high functioning alcoholic', I lead in my 'drinking days' to a life now lead where my ability to think cognitively (truth and reason) not only enhances my sobriety , plays a primary role in my life. Replacing alcohol and ensuring that I now look for credibility in all people (including myself) and things ...