Alternative methods of 'dying'...

Old 08-29-2015, 12:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Alternative methods of 'dying'...

Bearing in mind the thought that alcoholism is the only disease/illness that'll tell you, you haven't got it whilst, at the same time, killing you.

In recovery I've found that, metaphorically speaking the following verses offer a much better alternative.

'Die while alive.

Thoroughly die.

Then just do as you will,

And all will be well.' - Shido Bunan Zenjii, himself an ex-drunk and Zen Master, some saying this verse as the essence of Zen.

' Imagine you're dead.

You've lived your life.

Now just behave - Marcus Aurelius, a Roman General, seen as the last of the 'good' Emperors, who was also a great Stoic philosopher.

As I approach my 69th birthday, to be shared with Tommy Lee Jones, who ironically plays the author of this next quote in the film,'Emperor.' In recovery, I think this to makes a very positive, constructive statement along with the others...

'Age wrinkles the body,

Quitting wrinkles the soul.' - General Douglas Macarthur.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A 'Dying' of 'Self'

The more I allow the Creator of the Universe in me, to nurture and enliven the inherent Spiritual Nature that is in me ... the more I become a better Me.

Certainly a 'Dying' of the Self-Will-Run-Riot in Me
Old 08-29-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Just by way of interest...

Just by way of interest and in my case closely allied to 'the God of my understanding', Spirit of the Universe, Providence, etc. the ancient Stoic philosophers placed great emphasis on us all being a part of the whole, albeit a very minute part, nevertheless an essential one...along the lines of everything including everyone being governed by nature which extends to the universe...with the recommendation that you should try to l;ive in manner that nature intended.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
quat

Since I have yet to receive the memo, I just plug along making inferences from the implied intentions
Old 08-30-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Alternative methods of dying - reflection that somehow ones life should have been different. That a greater purpose was just out of grasp, waiting to be snatched. If only.........

Ego is the life source killer. It is what keeps us drinking. The thought we are better than, can do more - I deserve...........

In sobriety I start to find a method to chip away at some of my defects. Those that God has agreed to cast out from being. Slowly as this happens I am reborn into a new small part of a greater whole. A bright, shiny cog Henry Ford would be proud of, perhaps.

In that state there is no more fear. My ego is smashed - God is doing for me what can't (won't) do for myself.

Peaceful or not I have found serenity
Old 08-30-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Said metaphorically...

My reference to alternative methods of dying, was, as can be seen in my original thread, said metaphorically... that is not to say you're wrong in what you say, but it does make it appear out of context ... unless of course, that was your intention.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

We suffer to get well
We surrender to win
We die to live
We give it away to keep it