fending off thoughts

Old 03-29-2015, 02:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

fending off thoughts

Hi all, was just wondering how people deal with the incessant mind chatter urging you to drink? I give in most of the time and wish I had the strength to fend off these thoughts. What are your thoughts on dealing with unconscious/conscious urges to relapse?
Old 03-29-2015, 03:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Supports important - it's a great help to have people to call, or post to or whatever.

There are some great tips for cravings here too. I particularly recommend urge surfing as a tool

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

The bottom line is tho - your mind will chatter...you just have to get used to saying NO.

The voice will quieten and it will get easier once you learn you don't have to give into the voice or the urges

D
Old 03-29-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-long.html--By naming it and dismissing it as a very unhealthy lover/relationship.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Attach - detach...

As, at any one point, we all exist in the state of our minds, it's perhaps not a bad idea to focus on the personal health benefits, both mentally and physically of recovery so that it becomes the central focus of our lives. Simply paying attention to the quality of our own existence provided in recovery.

Enhanced by taking the opportunity to interest ourselves in other, complimentary philosophies that compliment it, e.g. Stoic or Buddhist philosophy or whatever suits your personal tastes.

Remembering, as a word of caution, that alcoholism is the only disease that will, if you let it, tell you you haven't got it.

It's all a bit like 'trial and error', which makes it fun, which is what sobriety is all about, putting some fun in your life!
Old 03-29-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love AVRT. I've used AA/NA and been ok, but AVRT, and other similar modes of thinking have helped me more than anything else. I haven't felt this at ease in years. I have some significant stuff coming up and this coming week and I can talk to my AV and tell it that my life is better broke, etc and clean than rich etc. than picking up.