An illness of ignorance...

Old 02-27-2015, 11:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

An illness of ignorance...

It's often said that alcoholism, is both a , metaphorically speaking a 'family' illness, affecting not just the drinker but those surrounding them. The word family, perhaps in this case being extended to all those on this site, whatever their role.

Perhaps, more importantly it's also said that it's an illness of ignorance, not assisted by the fact the suggestion that it's the only illness that will tell you, you haven't got it. Otherwise why would you go on putting something in your body that will kill you?

Accepting that at the same time you cannot tell alcoholics what to do, but you may suggest ways in which they can combat the contents of the three previous suggestions, to with a view to them getting into recovery, hopefully to be followed by prolonged and lasting sobriety.

It's then becomes apparent that recovery and sobriety is an individual responsibility, which may be helped by others sharing their experience, strength an hope.

In which, for all involved I'd suggest are the two guiding factors of an individuals ability to rely on themselves whilst at the same time bearing in mind that anything, in theirs or others recovery that contradicts logic and experience should be abandoned.

Which, if you so wish, includes the contents of this thread, with whom I take no issue whilst at the same time wishing them, in their ambitions and aspirations, well...
Old 02-28-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I always connected to the statement that alcoholism is a disease of perception.

Until I could perceive that I drank and behaved alcoholically (even when I wasn't drinking) and decided I'd have to accept responsibility for all of it, I wasn't inclined to seek help. It took a lot of repeated behaviors and bouts of drinking before I was convinced I needed some kind of help to combat alcoholism.

I will spare everyone the indignities and endangerment I put myself, my family, the dog, neighbors, people I woke up with having never met them before, the guy in the back seat I met when I came out of a blackout I'd picked up somewhere, the people on the other end of the phone I screamed profanities at because I didn't pay my bill on time, my fellow citizens I jeopardized with my drunk driving, their children and aged parents, the clerks, bar keeps, G-d that all got the brunt of my insanity and wrath....yes, I can't afford to forget that much of that happened even when I wasn't drinking.

My mind was and is warped. But I am getting better as long as I remember what to do. Forgetfulness? Possibly.

Ignorance? Sure. That really seems the least of it.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

As we all ...

As we all, at any one point in our lives, exist in the state of our minds, and whilst we cannot change things around us. We can change the state of our mind spiritually, mentally and to a certain extent, physically.

You're quite right in your observation, thanks for your contribution,I hope things go well for you.