Vigilance.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Vigilance.

Having been made aware today that this, presumably like all other forums on this site,is a public forum, as opposed to a site, which by its name and nature is dedicated to the recovery of those suffering from the disease/illness of alcoholism together with the groundswell of opinion who object to my presence on here. I'll make this my last thread.

The words taken from the book,'Daily Reflections' 1st Ed. p. 276 - Vigilance - 'We have seen the truth demonstrated again and again: "Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic." Commencing to drink after a period of sobriety, we are in a short time as bad as ever. If we are planning to stop drinking, there must be no reservation of any kind, nor any lurking notion that we may one day be immune to alcohol.' ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, 4th Ed. p33.

Today I am an alcoholic. To morrow will be no different. My alcoholism will live with me now and forever. I must never forget what I am. Alcohol will surely kill me if I fail to recognize and acknowledge my disease on a daily basis. I am not playing a game in which a loss is a temporary setback. I am dealing with my disease for which there is no cure, only daily acceptance and vigilance.

Words which I will always carry with me wherever I go...
Old 02-27-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

We're a public forum in that anyone can read here, anyone can join, and anyone can post where they like and say what they like - within the rules of this moderated forum.

I'm sorry that seems to have upset you, but I wish you the best whatever you decide, Redmayne

D
Old 02-27-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know, I've enjoyed reading what you have to say.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Just another Pickle Man

Vigilance is certainly important. Without working on sobriety on a daily basis you are sure to fail
Old 04-14-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Redmayne

The sheer joy of being vigilant.

Of course I agree, the surprising thing about being vigilant, is for me in my recovery, what I perceive is the different forms it takes e.g. the simple joy in living a sane, sober, safe existence, reading and learning about others and my own aspects of life, both past and present in various philosophies etc., handing my life and will over to the God of my understanding, etc., etc.

I'm sure there are others, including yourself who could add to this list ad infinitum, which would be great to hear....anyone?
Old 04-15-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Just another Pickle Man

Yeah just being a responsible adult and handling my daily obligations is sometimes my form of vigilance. Some days I certainly dont want to go to work but I still do because I need to.

I still go to 4-5 meetings per week and work the steps. I am going to be finishing my 3rd step at some point in the next week and moving on to the highly anticipated 4th step
Old 04-19-2015, 10:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For myself, i had to change my playgrounds, playmates and play toys when i came back to the rooms. I will remain doing that throughout my recovery by not allowing anyone who is using into my life as they will threaten my recovery once again.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My recovery involves going to as many as 5 meetings a week. I participate in meetings by sharing and listening. I offer my help at meetings such as chairing, opening and closing. I also work the steps and share them with a sponser. The steps are an ongoing process for a lifetime of growth and change. In time, I will consider doing more service work in other areas. I try to give back what was so freely given to me one day at a time.