Alcohol in the House

Old 10-22-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
Can't hide from alcohol. Can't hide from life!
There is absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting to keep alcohol in the house. If I was living on my own there is no way I would want it in my house. I don't go to bars and parties either and that isn't hiding from life, it is not putting myself in situations I don't feel comfortable in.

Some people are fine with it in the house, some not. I am one of those that wouldn't want it in the house. But that is just me.

Everyone has their own comfort level and they have to do what best for them.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The kids and I once stayed with my parents for a weekend when I was several years sober and I suddenly realized at some point that I was fixating on a half-empty bottle of Vodka in their freezer - in THEIR house mind you. I called my sponsor and he told me I already knew what I should do, and he was right. I went straight in and asked them if they would get rid of it. Knowing I'm an alcoholic and loving me, they said "of course!" Anyone who isn't an active alcoholic and cares about you will understand. I'm sure your boyfriend will respect your request. For me having alcohol just laying around is like leaving a loaded gun out in the kid's room - really nothing good can come of it...
Old 10-22-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

We have beer and wine at parties and family gatherings. Whatever is left over gets sent home with a guest or poured out.

My wife will have a bottle of wine sitting around for a couple days, or stored in the pantry, and I dont give it a second thought.

Cold beer in the fridge at eye level for days and days? Nah.

Sometimes you need to get out of your own way. I think my recovery is pretty strong. But thats like walking a tightrope. Kinda stupid, and the risks far outweigh the benefits.
I have a program where if Im feeling squirrely, I can call someone, but to have no time to think between a thought and an action, well, why tempt fate.