Dancing in the rain...

Old 09-02-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Dancing in the rain...

I liken my recovery to my having to learn to dance in the rain, given that I not only always have done but always will, suffer from the disease/illness of alcoholism.

In learning to dance, the two most salient points I had to learn before I even took the first steps, were the words used in the second para. of Chapter 3, 'More About Alcoholism' in the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous' 4th Ed. which say,

We learned that we had to fully concede tom our innermost selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first step in recovery. The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed.'

The words learn and step being most appropriate given the title of this thread.

Followed almost immediately by the opening line of Chapter 5 'How it works' which say,

'Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path'...

In doing so, I have not only learned to dance in the rain, but learned and will go on learning, to live a life that's joyous, happy and free. When have you see a person dancing that isn't? People don't dance on any occasion to be miserable.

Of course there are many dances, with their own steps and routines and others are free to choose their own, with which I take no issue. Just so long as they take place in the rain whilst at the same time affording them the opportunity to be peaceful, happy and free...

Then perhaps we could dance together?