Little bit of guidence is needed..

Old 07-31-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Little bit of guidence is needed..

hey all,

never thought i would find mind self asking questions like this on websites such as this, but im slightly worried. Im 18 years old living in Australia but ha e been drinking since i was 14. At first it was a good laugh with my friends but eventually it qas something i would crave. by 16-17 i would be planning a lot around my drinking habits, things such as putting off driving to school the next say as i wanted to get plastered in my room the night before. It got to the point where i would rather sit in my room drinking than sharing a few drinks witb mates. Not that it was some dark, depressive kinda state, i just felt more connected to what i was listening to, what i was doing, as weird as it may sound..
Ive always been a very stiff and serious person really, i struggle to get along with people these days and lose my patience quickly, so the free feeling i picked up from drinking helped kinda open my mind a bit. Its got to the point now where im nust bored. ive moved out and go to uni and all which keeps me busy but when my mind stops, i feel kinda empty. Where i feel like ive gotta get some kinds high to pass time or put me to sleep. ive dabbled in a few different drugs as you do but i dont hit anything as hard as i do the bottle. I guess what i want to know is, is this normal behavour of a teen or is there something wrong with me? i do enjoy clubbing and all of that stuff like every other 18 year old but i thi k im too afraid to ask anyone i know if they feel as empty as i do when im sober and bored.

anything at all that anyone may have will help. Not desperate for answers or change, im just after clarity, its the first step after all right? ��

- Chappy

oh and sorry for the spelling, im shite at typing on my phone ��

Last edited by chappylad; 07-31-2014 at 10:14 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-01-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Melbourne Young People Alcoholics Anonymous Group, Australia - AATimes

call an AA intergroup and find out if there are young people meetings in your area?

you can stay stopped, too and have an amazing life!
Old 08-02-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds pretty normal for a teen now days
I say now days because
Not many years back this would be considered not normal
There is a caution that comes along with this
If this behavior continues
It will probably be a path to alcoholism

Slow down or stop while you have the chance

Mountainmanbob
Old 08-16-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think if your questioning the amount/frequency of your drinking you need to be honest with yourself.

I started drinking at 18 and have always been more of a binge drinker. Sure sometimes I would wonder if I really should have drank an entire bottle of whiskey/vodka/gin but I conveniently found ways to convince myself that there was nothing wrong.

Your 18? I am 24. It's taken running afoul of the law to really say to myself, well, I do have a problem. It's something I didn't want to admit to myself and I still am so upset with the mistakes I've made but honestly, your sobriety is something you need to prioritize. I remember first I started drinking because I was depressed. Than it was to celebrate. Soon it was for no reason other than to be drunk.

Save yourself 6 years of rationalizing and be honest with yourself about your drinking; how it effects you, how it is effecting the people you love, and whether it is truly improving your life.

Good luck. I would look through these forums if I were you.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Redmayne

If alcohol is costing you ...

Apart from strongly supporting and endorsing all the previous comments, there's one sure indicator of someone who is or may becoming an alcoholic. You have to ask yourself, and from what you say it's already happening, otherwise why would you feel uncomfortable enough to post this thread?

Is alcohol costing you more than money? In terms of your own feelings of self worth, i.e. something in yourself that concerns you, your family, friends or studies or employment, all those things that now or possibly may be important to your life and well being...

If it is, you may well be, or at least on the way to becoming an alcoholic, that being the case you must ACT NOW! Along the lines of those things previously suggested...

Just to emphasise my point, I do mean NOW!!! OK...