Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > All About Recovery > What is Recovery?
Reload this Page >

Why do people force the disease and 12 steps on everyone else?

Why do people force the disease and 12 steps on everyone else?

Old 04-15-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

You say that "Even doctors who are AA members overwhelmingly do not believe this."
I certainly haven't noticed this
International Doctors in AA

There is more interesting reading on this here. You may also wish to learn how and why the AMA came to its current position by reading about Marty Mann.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Thanks, amigo.

Take care,

CAH
Old 04-15-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

I dont see many doctors going around in the rooms, pronouncing to a room full of anonymous "members' that they are doctors. Very rarely have I ever heard that, and if I do its normally a new, or newer person who doesnt know any better.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

OK, Matt, these AA doctors attend their own meetings, and aren't generally interested in yours. If you are interested in theirs, you can maybe drop in - https://www.idaa.org/
Old 04-15-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Perhaps these meetings are like the Skull & Bones club...secret medical doctor robes and all.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Related question: Why does Rational Recovery Systems, Inc. (All Rights Reserved) knock AA methods?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  
Administrator

let me step in there.

Here on SR everyone, regardless of belief, agrees to abide by rule 4 (and all our oither rules) as a condition of membership.
4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
If you guys want to continue on that related question course - take it to PM, thanks.

D
Old 04-16-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

The title question of this thread raises a very valid point and a good reminder to those of us in 12 step programs.

I hope that I don't try to force my path to recovery on others, but I am sure that I have done so at some point(s) during my sobriety.

I just want everyone to be sober and healthy and I don't care who takes which avenue to arrive there.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Dsober,
I don't see RR's counterpoints to AA as "knocking". Will you share specifics so I can better understand your viewpoint?
Old 04-16-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Dsober,
I don't see RR's counterpoints to AA as "knocking". Will you share specifics so I can better understand your viewpoint?
I have tried both programs and I see the merits of both. I have no interest in defending either. However, as an unbiased participant my experience is Trimpey spends pages 3 through 16 of his Little Book systematically picking apart each one of the 12 steps. Even the title of the book is designed to knock AA's Big Book. While this is done under the guise of "A More Rational Viewpoint" each counterpoint is heavily biased with wording to knock AA.

Trimpey's basic premise is AA is a religious based cult (stated) and Trimpey does his best to articulate a well verse argument to support this thesis to prop his program, AVRT up as an alternative to AA.

Am I missing something?
Old 04-16-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Guys, you know what? So what? I don't get the argument. If its working for you, great. If not, move on and find something else. back in the day there wasn't much more than AA. Now that more is known about addiction, more can be done. plus, with this knowledge we drunks have a higher bottom. we get treatment earlier and with better results.

Just my opinion and observations.

Love from Lenina
Old 04-16-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Dee asked us to drop it; so I am.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Back to the original question, I don't see AA forcing anything on anyone. I went to them and asked for help. They didn't come to my door.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  

I know 2 doctors in AA in our little town. They are nice and I say hello to them, sometimes goodbye at the end of the meeting. I usually have a cup of tea at the meeting.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Yeah, back to the original question...

Other people didn't force the disease on me... I did. Other people, mostly in AA and at church, are teaching me how to deal with it.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

I'd be remiss not to add other people here at SR teaching me as well.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by jdooner
Trimpey's basic premise is AA is a religious based cult (stated) and Trimpey does his best to articulate a well verse argument to support this thesis to prop his program, AVRT up as an alternative to AA.

Am I missing something?
How would I know if you're missing something?

I asked which parts were seen as "knocking" because my interpretation is different. I see AA and RR as completely different paradigms, so of course each camp is going to have vastly differing viewpoints. Nothing shocking about that to me. Further, I can read things that I don't agree with without getting my knickers in a twist. Trimpey says what he says because he firmly believes it to be true. Wilson said what he said because he firmly believed it to be true. Neither is a big bad meanie pants for doing so.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Uh oh...

Doesn't matter, they both have the same goal and ultimate message: Stop drinking and drugging.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Exactly. But here's the thing...historically, other methods for quitting were at best dismissed, and at worse vilified. People have been legally mandated to attend AA. When an addicted individual sought help, the choices/options presented have been limited or nonexistent. Things are changing and that's good because people can find a method they can be successful with. That's hopeful.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I also see AA and RR as completely different paradigms which have completely different viewpoints. Nothing shocking to me about that either. That being said, why does Trimpey need to comment on AA at all, let alone with characterizations like “religious cult”? Could it be he who has his knickers in a twist?