Spouse

Old 07-13-2018, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Spouse

Today I am struggling with my feelings toward my husband of 33 years. Yes almost the length of my drinking... he didn't pour it down my throat though and has for many years been a non-drinker. This guy is so hard to live with, though. He is non-supportive in my recovery and thinks I could moderately drink if I really wanted to. But as I struggle I realize these are early days for me, so the best thing is to keep my mouth shut and just keep putting my recovery first. Our kids have been wonderful with support and that means a lot! Thank you for letting me vent.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Sorry that what you are wanting your husband to do, say and be isn't what you are getting.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

true, no one can make anyone be anything but who that person is. I did sound very childlike.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No, you don’t sound childlike, I think it’s unreasonable of your husband, of 33 years, not to respect and support your wish to be a non-drinker. If he still drank, then maybe he wants a drinking-buddy; but that’s not the case, as he’s a non-drinker....so why on earth would he suggest you drink (moderately!). I’m so sorry he isn’t supporting you, and very glad your children are.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Redmayne

In admire you...

As someone who has faced a lot of adversity in his life, not all the result of alcohol and more often the result of the selfish, irresponsible actions and behavior of others in my personal and professional life.

I respect andv admire you.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Redmayne

It's perhaps, worth remembering...

It's perhaps worth remembering that sobriety is an individual responsibility, no one can do it for you...it's like your life...not your family, friends or associate's.

Because if you don't have your sobriety you don't have a life and if you have neither, you have nothing, whatever the future may bring...

I 'lost' everything twice! Not through alcohol, although I've no regrets about my sobriety, through the selfish actions of others.

I gained everything through MY sobriety...worth thinking about drunk or sober.