Adversity!

Old 07-26-2018, 02:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Adversity!

I've faced a lot of adversity in my life, no problem. Nothing like a bit of healthy competition, as Seneca said,'Adversity, is a training exercise.' A lot of it caused not by alcohol, although undoubtedly, in my drinking days it played its part, but by the selfish,irresponsible actions of others.

I don't have much respect for those who haven't faced adversity much less do I have any time for them. Neither do I like those who play att life and don't recognize reality and the adversity that often accompanies it. Until it slams them in the teeth...

That said, my recovery involved the recognition and acceptance that for the first time, I was dealing with something I couldn't deal with on my own. It very much involved my belief in 'the God of my understanding', which, as over the years I've developed an interest in the practices and principles of Stoic philosophy, first attracted to it because of its links to the Serenity Prayer, still said every day by me. Is not as many misguidedly think,it is about transforming emotions.

And involves in 'the logos' or the Whole, a God who governs the Universe, ruled by Reason. Which allies itself to the fact that as it says in the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous' that we 'alkies' love logic. As Stoic philosophy is built on logic and reason.

And as Buddhist philosophy, which compliments it, says,'Anything that contradicts logic and reason should be abandoned'.

I love all those in recovery whether it's one hour, one day , a year or whatever especially those as uncompromising and determined enough to turn adversity to theirs and others advantage!You can't buy or fake that...and you have to work on it everyday to keep it.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I love this!