Notices

codeine withdrawal ???

Old 07-30-2006, 07:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

codeine withdrawal ???

Does anyone know anything about codeine withdrawal. This is my second day
and I feel real sick. It was only about a 100-150mg per day.
I would appreciate any info. Thx
Old 07-30-2006, 11:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hi emmer,

Yes, there are a few people here that have been through codeine withdrawal, and hopefully they will be around to post to you.. I am really happy that you have posted for support.

Can you go to the doctor for help emmer? They can give you meds to help
you feel better. I have done this, for pain killers. The doctors have helped me.
I just told them that I bought the pills on the streets, and they gave me meds to help me feel better while detoxing. I have also been to treatment.

Have you considered NA? I don't know if there are any Celebrate Recovery meetings in your area, or if you would be interested in them.? Celebrate Recovery is a bible based 12 step group. that would also be very helpful for you. I have received a ton of help in my meetings.

We are here for you emmer. We will support you 24/7..
Praying for you my friend,,
Love,
Becky
Old 07-31-2006, 06:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AVR
Fiat Justicia Ruat Caelum

Hey Emmer. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm on day 11 of being without the drugs, and I can tell you that each day after the third or so gets better. I did go to the doctor and get antidepressants, because to me, the mental part is much worse than the physical withdrawal. Just remember that each day will get a little better. Let me know if you need any other information, and my thoughts are with you.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Emmer
(In what form were you taking the codeine?)
Yep - I got hooked on codeine and finally got off 4 months ago.
I was taking anywhere from between 150 - 300 mg per day.(in the form of codeine sulphate in nurofen plus)
I tapered down some and then just went c/t when circumstances in my life seemed right.
At your level you shouldnt have too much in the way of withdrawal symptoms. Nausea, slight muscle/bone aches, cold sweats and insomnia. But it passes pretty quickly. The withdrawal symptoms peak at between 48 - 72 hours after your last dose - so days 3 and 4 are the worst and then things get rapidly better.
I wouldnt suggest any other medication for this level of codeine withdrawal. Stay away from anti depressants and benzos - you really do not need them. Dont add any more chemicals to your brain - just let it heal on its own - just take it nice and easy...................... it will all come all right. For myself - day 5 was the beginning of real improvement for me and after 2 weeks I had no lingering symptoms - even the insomnia left me.............
It is a matter of letting the brain re-set itself - for the production of neurotransmitters to adjust again following withdrawal of the drug - so that's why I say dont add any more chemicals to the mix.
Emmer - you are on day 2 - so approaching the worst and the symptoms are about to peak and then improve - just hang on - not much longer and you will turn the corner - and its so worth it.
Try things like camomile tea and a hot bath before bed - it all helps. But whatever - you can do this cos it only lasts for a few days................and then you will feel so much better
I agree with Becky though about after................... How are you going to stay off? There are lots of things to think about from NA to all the online forums....................... and of course - support from SR.
Good luck - if I can answer any more questions - please just ask?
woops
Old 07-31-2006, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Hey Woops, I've missed seeing you around here.

Emmer, woops has some good advice. Please start looking around to find ways to stay clean. You may not want to, but your mind and body will thank you later.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Woops has given some wonderful advice. Withdrawals from codeine are no fun but after say 2 weeks you should feel much better, the worst of it peaking around 72 hours or so. Nausea, leg cramps/shakes, aches and pains all over, lack of appetite, insomnia, depression, constipation are all symptoms you will experience and more. Just do your best to realize these will fade and you will feel better soon.

You do not want to take anything at all to medicate. This will only feed the monster and quite possibly give you something else, something even worse to detox from depending on what they prescribe.

Pain meds are one of the easier substances to get away from, though I know this is of no comfort to those going through it. You'll make it, just drink as much water and juice as you can keep down and eat if and when you can tolerate to replenish your strength.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In addition to the withdrawal I had abused anti psycotic meds ( seroqel )
in the last 1 1/2 months. I also am withdrawing from effexor..at least I was until last fri. I was off effexor completely with the aid of prozac for over a month but went back on effexor on fri because I was having problems with feeling sick and suicidal.
I am now however taking all my meds like I'm supposed to.I'm getting to old for the substance abuse thing. Can't do it.
Just not interested anymore.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Last night I actually managed some rest. I think things might be improving.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there! It will get easier.
The hardest part is making that decision to stop..and you did it.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Seroquel , and Prozac as an aid in tapering Effexor? I don't know why I am amazed at what they will prescribe these days, but I still find that I am.

I won't even go there, other than to say I hate to see anyone taking any of those, especially Seroquel. I was given Seroquel in the psych ward after being admitted for suicidal tendencies, which were actually brought on from A/D's, and I swore never to touch it again.

That aside it is good to hear you felt a bit better last night and were able to get some rest. I hope you feel even better tonight. Stay determined and lets see how you feel in a few more days. My bet is you will see even more improvements
Old 08-01-2006, 03:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Actually only prozac was givin to me to aid in the effexor withdrawal. The seroqel I was already taking.Last fri in the hospital (emergency) another doctor put me back on effexor and I was told to stop prozac 3 days later,because the prozac wasn't helping the withdrawals.
I also started taking my seroquel as perscribed instead of using it to help me sleep and then running low on it.(I think I was withdrawing off it also)
I decided to cut down a bit on codeine and let my body get balanced out on the meds I'm on,then I will go off it.
With everything else going on in my body the codeine withdrawal was way too much for me.
I am going to Na tommorrow and (drug and alchohol) appt, on wed afternoon.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello again, Emmer
Good to hear you are going forward in the right direction.
Ideally I would always advise against use of any other medication here - I truly do not believe that doctors who prescribe anti depressants and benzodiazepines are doing their patients any good in the long run. (But I understand that everyone is different and must take proper medical advice. Sometimes though, it may be prudent not to go to a doctor - use your own judgement. Most doctors are not well versed in problems of addiction. I have recently had experience of observing babies born to heroin addicts - and these babies suffer withdrawal symptoms at birth - but the situation is often so much worse as doctors often prescribe a benzo during the pregnancy - and while a baby can be easily detoxed off heroin - it is far far harder to detox the baby from the ativan/valium/klonopin or whatever. And you would be appalled at how easily doctors prescribe benzos - and to heroin addicts too.)
This problem of withdrawal from codeine is a problem of the brain readjusting to having had the codeine taken away and so needing to produce - in the correct quantities - the neurotransmitters that the codeine replaced. You see posts in here about serotonin, gaba, endorphins...etc - these are the naturally produced chemicals which allow the nerve cells of the brain to "communicate" and send the right messages for the body to function properly. When you take codeine - the codeine replaces these transmitters and so the brain stops producing them. When codeine is taken away again - the brain gets a shock and starts to produce these again - but it takes about 5 - 7 days for the production to be adjusted and corrected. Hence - the withdrawal symptoms which are similar to flu. The production of other substances like adrenaline etc has to be balanced by these other neurotransmitters - and in those few days when you have symptoms this isnt done - the naturally occuring pain killers (endorphins etc) are missing and you suffer withdrawal. Now I know this is an oversimplified explanation - but I am trying to state the case for not taking any other chemicals at this time................................. the brain just never gets the opportunity to figure all this out for its self. I just dont know why so few doctors take this approach. After all - withdrawal from codeine is not like withdrawal from methodone or sub or benzos - it is not drawn out - it is a very short straight forward process (altho I know its certainly very unpleasant!!) - and is over in 5 - 7 days. Surely its worth it to get thro these few days to achieve your goal? Some things in life just have to be bourne? There really is not a pill to fix every problem - altho to look at US society - you would think there was.
Emmer - good luck! I hope you find some help in NA - but if you dont - keep looking - there is plenty of information and help at hand - you just need to find the support which works for you.
woops
Old 08-02-2006, 03:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alera
Hey Woops, I've missed seeing you around here.

Emmer, woops has some good advice. Please start looking around to find ways to stay clean. You may not want to, but your mind and body will thank you later.
Hiya Alera - I hope things are all well with you?

Old 08-02-2006, 09:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Mostly I went back on effexor because the withdrawal was too brutal.
So I decided that I should do one thing at a time.
First thing was to get stable on effexor to stop (effexor) withdrawals.
Second ...stop abusing my seroquel.
Third...start weaning off codeine,but only after I'm chemicaly stable on the rest of my meds.

I think this is a good approach.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Coming off Effexor is no fun, the head zaps are horrid That smiley also pretty much sums it up for the Seroquel too.

I think it is wise to rid yourself of the codeine before the Effexor, but you really need to stop the Seroquel as soon as possible IMO. This is one nasty drug than can cause some major damage.

Woops has it right, the first week or so of codeine w/d sucks but it is over in a short period of time so hold onto this thought when you dive in again. I am just over 2 1/2 years off of benzos and A/D's and I'm still paying the price where coming off of codeine was a breeze in comparison, not fun, but I'd take it over the others any day of the year.

If it were me I'd dump the Seroquel first, then the codeine and then the Effexor. What is most important is that you stay determined to win. As you said, we're getting too old for this crap.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Asylum .......
So you had a time doing a benzo taper? As did I. Not a lot of fun at all.
I was put on ativan following a family bereavement by a cretin of a doctor - then when I tried to stop - OUCH! Took me over 6 months of slow taper to be off - did the Ashton taper...............
I always hate to say to people that codeine withdrawal is a breeze in comparison - but it truly is!! I know the withdrawals are nasty - but they are over so quickly! I will never ever take benzos again - I could not go thro that taper again. 6 months of my life played out in pain and slow motion - every day grinding on with more symptoms............. hellish ........
Congratulations to you for getting off the lot.
Emmer - Asylum knows what he/she is talking about.......... so I wish you all the very best in your efforts to get free.......

How I felt during benzo taper!! LOL
Old 08-02-2006, 12:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Woops,
Why are benzo WD's so much worse than codeine or other pain medication WD's? I personnaly have not had to WD from Benzo's.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks Woops and a big pat on the back to you too for beating the odds. What I went through, and still am to some extent I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy.

You are right though about comparing codeine w/d to others. It is not a very compassionate thing to say and can sound condescending to those going through it themselves and for that I apologize and extent empathy. I went through it myself as well and it was very difficult indeed, but I sure wish it could have ended there.

With that, if you and emmer don’t mind I am going to answer notkernels question as well.

Originally Posted by notkernels
Why are benzo WD's so much worse than codeine or other pain medication WD's? I personnaly have not had to WD from Benzo's.
Mainly because, for some they can last for months, if not years.

The symptoms below are only some of the ones that I have personally experienced at one point or another over the past 3 years, or still am dealing with to date.

Agoraphobia (lasted about 18 months)

Loss of confidence (still dealing with this one much of the time)

Insomnia (fought this for a good year)

Derealization (still dealing with this one)

Uncontrollable anger/aggression

Suicidal tendencies

Intrusive dreams

Flu like symptoms (pretty much the whole time I was tapering)

Lack of cognitive ability (still dealing with this one)

Severe muscle cramps and twitches (still dealing with this one)

Hypersensitive to anything that hits on the GABA receptors i.e. alcohol, most medications, any recreational drug, sugar, caffeine, even a damn multivitamin (think I will always have to deal with this one, though at this point I can take vitamins and drink a limited amount of caffeine)

Morning zombie state that can last all day and persist for weeks, even months on end (still dealing with this one in a big way much of the time, which remains to be my most enduring symptom)

Hypersensitive to light and sound (still dealing with this one, but improving)

Tinnitus (still dealing with this one, again improving)

Depression (pretty much handled)

Anxiety (learned to overcome this one)

Inability to handle the slightest bit of stress (goes hand in hand with the above)

RLS (still dealing with this one)

Lose of libido

Lack of emotions

I could list more, but I don't want to even think back on it any further.

(Note that everyone’s CNS is different and for some reason there are those fortunate individuals who are able to walk away from years of benzo consumption with little to no effect, lucky for them ).

Sorry emmer, I didn't mean to hyjack your thread. If anything heed warning from this and stay the course. You can win this.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I too have withdrawn from benzos ( a pile of them) ...pure hell.
It took me 1 1/2 years. ( 5 months free )
I have also withdrawan from codeine ..way more than now, and had no problem. But for some reason this time, inconjuntion with effexor and getting stabilized on seroqel it almost killed me.
I could start soon w/d ing from codeine but I'm not going to try the others because I was suicidal only a few days ago.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Just want to endorse everything said by asylum and emmer about about benzos.
Notkernels....
You dont have to believe us - just read all the info on the net........benzos are incredibly addictive - after as little as 2 weeks of use you can be addicted.................. and for some good scientific stuff - google the Ashton Manual - download and read.
The taper is the only way to get off - c/t is horrendous and extremely dangerous for most people................
Congratulations emmer for your successful taper. If you have beaten benzos then codeine stands no chance with you!
woops