SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Substance Abuse (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/)
-   -   Help on Adderall Overdose (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/96577-help-adderall-overdose.html)

The Student 06-21-2006 12:25 PM

Help on Adderall Overdose

Hi everyone, I overdosed on adderall about three hours ago, I took about 150 mg, and I need some help. I was really stressing out over a 15 page script I had to memorize by the end of tonight so I grabbed the bottle, dumped some pills into my hand, and took them. My perscribed dose is 40 mg so this is about 4 times higher than normal, I'm 17 years old, male, about 5"6 and a half in height, and weigh 125 pounds. I'm scared and I have no idea what could happen by taking that much at one time so could any of yall give me an idea of what I should expect and what I should do? Currently my heart rate has been above the normal but nothing significantly high and currently my legs and arms are tingling though that might be because I'm cold at the moment. I'm also kind of groggy and out of it. I don't want to go to the emergency room or let my mother know so is there anything I could do to lessen the effects such as drinking alot of water or eating a specific food? All help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

~The Student

emmer 06-21-2006 12:36 PM

Here is what I found doing a quick search.

What happens if I overdose?

• Seek emergency medical attention.
• Symptoms of an Adderall overdose include restlessness, tremor, rapid breathing, confusion, hallucinations, panic, aggressiveness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, an irregular heartbeat, and seizures.

I don't know if the above is 100% accurate. Please take overdosing seriously and call 911.

The Student 06-21-2006 12:40 PM

I can't though because I dont want my parents to know. I've been posting this on a few forums and I'm hoping someone can give me some advice other than call 911 or poison control. :worried:

emmer 06-21-2006 12:47 PM

You need to take overdosing seriously, and call 911.

The Student 06-21-2006 12:49 PM

I'd rather use that as a last resort :worried:

GeorgiaPeach 06-21-2006 12:59 PM

The tingling is from the amount of adderall that you took. Remember when you first started taking it or when they would increase your dose and your arms would timgle and your heart would race? Is that the feeling? Are you having any of the other symptoms mentioned? What is going on right now!

The Student 06-21-2006 01:04 PM

At the moment I'm taking quizzes and such online to keep myself alert, but other than those symptoms there haven't really been any others though I have been feeling a bit of nausea every now and then since taking the medication. I've been keeping myself calm and my breathing normal and my heart rate is just above average. I'm going to get myself something to eat really quick though and a glass of water.

GeorgiaPeach 06-21-2006 01:10 PM

I was just about to suggest that you get something to eat. Water will help flush your body but milk will help coat your stomach also. If you are not going to go to the ER then as long as you remain calm and monitor your heart rate and your blood pressure, then you may be OK but I am no doctor or nurse and my advice is to go to the doctor or ER or something. Don;t think that I am advising you what to do but I take adderall for my ADD so I know a LITTLE about the drug. Don't do this again!!!

Buzz Kilowatt 06-21-2006 01:21 PM

I would recommend you also call the poison control center and get their advice. Here is a list of centers by state:

http://www.aapcc.org/allctrlst/comppcclist.htm

I'd certainly keep tabs on my blood pressure in the meantime.

Good luck.

- Buzz

The Student 06-21-2006 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach
Don;t think that I am advising you what to do but I take adderall for my ADD so I know a LITTLE about the drug. Don't do this again!!!

Any advise yall can give me is more than welcome. I realize I've screwed up pretty badly and can't fix it on my own. But believe me, I don't plan on doing this again. Thanks for letting me know about the milk, I went ahead and had a glass of milk as well. Compared with earlier I'm not nearly as groggy as I was, but everything else I mentioned is still there.

GeorgiaPeach 06-21-2006 01:33 PM

Adderall usually lasts about 6 hours and then it is gone unless it was the time releas adderall. Which was it? If it was just plain adderall then it has been about 4 hours and so in about 1 1/2 hours it should be starting to wear off. Is it the same tingling as when you first got on adderall or when you had to up your dosage?

Done_With_It 06-21-2006 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Student
I'd rather use that as a last resort :worried:

Well darlin, That is something you should have thought about before
you od'ed.

You really need medical attention. You can really screw yourself up
if you don't.

Your parents don't have to know, just go to the ER..........

Nothing anyone tells you here can be taken for word, We aren't
doctors, and we don't know.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I'm more worried about
a stroke, heartattack, or whatever.........

At least call the ER, and ask them what to do.

The Student 06-21-2006 01:38 PM

This is the first time I've felt a tingling sensation due to the adderall. I take the plain adderall so hopefully it'll start wearing off soon, but I'm worried that such a large dose will take alot longer than usual to wear off. Also I have to oversee an installation of officers for DeMolay (a youth group) and I'm supposed to be leaving here in about 2 hours for that. I don't think I'll go, but I have to convince my mom not to let me go first. Will either a hot or cold shower help any? I haven't had a chance to take a shower today because of this incident and I'm wondering whether its smart to do that or not.

The Student 06-21-2006 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Done-With-It
Well darlin, That is something you should have thought about before
you od'ed.

You really need medical attention. You can really screw yourself up
if you don't.

Your parents don't have to know, just go to the ER..........

Nothing anyone tells you here can be taken for word, We aren't
doctors, and we don't know.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I'm more worried about
a stroke, heartattack, or whatever.........

At least call the ER, and ask them what to do.

I understand that you're not trying to be mean and I'm thankful for the advice and yalls concern. I just have no way of getting to the ER at the moment since I don't trust myself to drive in this condition and I don't really want to call the ER because my mom and brother are in the house and in the rooms right next door to mine.

GeorgiaPeach 06-21-2006 01:43 PM

We could PM eddiez and ask her. What do you think? Look, this young man is adament that he is not going to the hospital or tell his parents so at least he could get some info from someone who knows more than we do.

GeorgiaPeach 06-21-2006 01:49 PM

Oh, do not use anything or eat or drink anything with caffeine!

The Student 06-21-2006 01:50 PM

Yeah, I've been avoiding caffeine and only drunken water and a glass of milk today.

GeorgiaPeach 06-21-2006 01:57 PM

From what I can find on the web, you should be fine. Can you at least call a pharmacy and talk to the pharmacist? Is there no where you can go so your family won't hear you? It has now been 4 1/2 hours and so in another 30-45 minutes it should start to wear off slowly. Are you still tingling? Is it as bad as it was before? Just try to relax and keep your heartbeat down as much as possible. For the next several hours even tomorrow, I would keep a check on my blood pressure though.

GeorgiaPeach 06-21-2006 02:04 PM

I have to go home now from work. I will check back on you when I get home in about 30 minutes.

GP

The Student 06-21-2006 02:04 PM

Yeah, I'll call a pharmacist but currently I don't have anywhere I can go so I won't be overheard. The tingling is still there and its about the same as before and its mostly on my forearms and shins. My parents have a few calming classical CDs so I went ahead and put that on to help me relax and stop my mind from racing. I'll make sure to keep a close watch on my heart beat and blood pressure. Thanks for all the advice yall have given me so far, I can't thank yall enough.