Notices

Day 1 off snorting Oxycontin

Old 06-16-2008, 05:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Day 1 off snorting Oxycontin

It has been 29 hours since is topped abusing oxycontin i was not doing too much, a least 80mg per day. I do not normally have pain, i was not prescribed and it was pure abuse. I am experiencing all the usual withdrawal symptoms: fever, diarrhea, weakness, tired, lethargic. It sucks I have been taking pepto bismol and tylenol. I am suprised at how intense withdrwal is for only a small amount.

Any help would be appreciated with my detox I am gonna do this cold turkey. I am lucky enough not to be working right now so I can just rest. And I have my best friend who is not an addict visiting for 4 more days yay!

But my head is in the right place for recovery, no longer am I going to hand over my money to the man to buy the stupid pills. I get to save all that money and take vacations!
Old 06-16-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Please see a DR about the withdrawal, it can be very serious. Good luck and keep posting.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I saw your post and moved it here to the correct forum.

Hope all works out for you....Welcome to SR!
Old 06-16-2008, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forums. I really have no advice about detoxing from oxys but visiting a dr sound like a good idea.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

stay hydrated with gatorade, powerade, water. ibuprofen for the aches once you can keep it down. try to eat when you can stop puking....even if only crackers. once you can get a cracker or two down get some Ensure shakes(old people drink these). immodium for the diarrhea. stock up on cigs if you smoke. hot showers and baths. lotsa luck to you. it ain't easy but it ain't impossible.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
X IV

Welcome to SR Hoping...

It gets better.... I promise.
Also, I live very close to you so if you need someone to talk to I am more than willing....

Take care....
Old 06-16-2008, 08:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, get some help when it gets rough if you need it. Is there anyone that hang with you during the w/d? I couldn't do it alone, got help from a doc and NA. But if you can, more power to you. It's not impossible, as Windy says, but most of us weren't able to hack cold turkey alone, and ended up relapsong every time we tried it at the second day. There's a lot of help you can get for opiate addiction. Let me know if you are interested in what can be done if cold turkey doesn't work out (here's hoping it will, though)
kj
Old 06-16-2008, 08:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I went through all the symptoms you are having now - after 2.5 years of daily use, and on and off before that. If you choose to do it on your own (as I did) everything windy said above applies. I do know however, that that was not the smartest thing for me to do. months later I am still suffering the "lingering effects" of the WD's. I would assume they are psychological at this point - but that doesn't make them any more pleasant - and I may seek help myself if it continues. It is dangerous to do that though, and I don't recommend it - those are STRONG pills you're coming off of - even when they are prescribed, you are supposed to be weaned off them. I hope you're doing ok - but if you are in a position to get some help for it - I hope you do.
keep posting and take care
Old 06-16-2008, 09:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

and by the way, 80 mg a day is not a small dose. Doctors that prescribe that strength never just stop people from 80mg to 0 mg. They usually taper them down. Sure people have had worse habits, but mine was only 40 mg, and couldn't go cold turkey. Weaning didn't work for me either, I didn't have the willpower.
kj
Old 06-16-2008, 10:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
This catz gone wild!!!

Hopingrecovery;

The detox can be hard on the body I've done it without checking in, but you need to have immodium AD, gatoraide or poweraide, chicken noodle soup (for when you are able to start eating), but if you can't hold anything down including drinks, you need to get your butt to the ER. I'm not a medical expert, only an addict who's been through the same thing. You also need to find a local NA or AA meeting to attend, get to know some sober people, get a sponsor as soon as you can get out of the house, you have to at least go to meetings if you don't do detox and rehab. Its the one of the best ways to get and stay sober. Please get to the hospital if you can't hold anything down or you get a fever. Don't be a hero, going to the ER can save your life if you are that sick, they can also help you find an outpatient rehab or at least give you a meeting list. Hang in there!

Jaz
Old 06-17-2008, 08:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

hopingrecovery

how are you today? if you are feeling really poorly, get to an ER or walk in.
blessings, Sheila
Old 06-17-2008, 08:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I'd imagine that things are pretty crappy right now. Hang on. The light at the end of the tunnel is closer as long as you don't go out and get dope.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey it has been 50 hours since i used and I am getting better slowly. Definitely don't need and ER. Can keep down food and still taking tylenol for my fever and just resting alot.

I will definitely not relapse since i do not want to go through this again...
Old 06-17-2008, 03:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by hopingrecovery View Post
Hey it has been 50 hours since i used and I am getting better slowly. Definitely don't need and ER. Can keep down food and still taking tylenol for my fever and just resting alot.

I will definitely not relapse since i do not want to go through this again...

remember how you feel. burn it into your brain.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey I feel even better today, everything is turning out good and I am enjoying the company of friends and staying away from pills!

We are about to go bbq and swimming.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

so this morning i feel bad about drinking so much yesterday. at least i was not using oxy. i need to get to soom meetings soon! NA and AA
Old 06-19-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yeah, that would be an excellent idea my friend.

Congrats on your 5th(?) day clean off of opiates

I really don't recommend drinking, btw. It's really hard to stay clean off dope if you continue to drink, especially if you do it to excess. I'd bet dollars to donuts that a friggin oxy sounds like heaven this morning in your (apparently) somewhat hungover state, doesn't it? If you don't eventually cave cause you're drunk and not thinking, then eventually you'll cave cause you're hung and feel like crap.

Just a word to the wise my friend. The meeting idea is a very good one
Old 06-19-2008, 08:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

yes you do!! The last thing you want now is to start boozin' Take it from someone(me) who has done the cross addiction thing, I can tell ya from my own experience it will eventually lead you back to the oxy's, total abstenence is what you should be doing right now in my opinion. If you didn't have issuses with alcohol before then perhaps after some lengthy time away from the oxy's you could perhaps socially drink again, I can't perhaps you can. Good luck!!
Old 06-19-2008, 08:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ya know, BHB, I always kinda maintain that notion in my head, that maybe after some time away I could drink socially again, since I do not 'have the gene' and alcohol never caused me too much trouble. But it's funny ... TODAY just never seems to be the right day to give it a whirl...
Old 06-19-2008, 08:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have been very emotional and crying lots this morning. I guess this could be a side effect of coming off of opiates.

The funny thing is, last year when i started taking norcos, vicoden, ect. i liked them because they gave me energy and made me not want to drink. Kind of an addiction transfer. I thought I guess after drinking everyday 12pm-??? for months on end a simple pill would be the lesser of two evils? Was also using coke on occasion last summer thought it was great gave me energy...been off that since new years.

Now that I have decided to stop using pills I am so afraid of my drinking habit getting bad again. I am disappointed at myself for getting drunk yesterday, I feel like a loser.

So where do I belong I don't know NA or AA I have been to both and probably need both...