Notices

Thorazine

Old 02-08-2002, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Tricia11364

Post Thorazine

Hi all, it's me again. As you all probably remember I had alot of questions about methadone withdrawal. My son's last dose was January 25th, the day he went to jail. He is now in the prison and I just received a letter stating he's finally getting some valium but the shrink also prescribed Thorazine. My son was diagnosed as bi-polar about 7 months ago and the only thing I can figure out is that he told the shrink this and that's why he put him on that. Has anyone ever heard of Thorazine being used for methadone withdrawal. He said they have a camera on him 24/7.

Thanks for all your help!

Tricia

Old 02-09-2002, 02:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Here`s what came up on Thorazine. Chlorpromazine ( Thorazine ) is an anti psychotic drug of low-potency. Used in the treatment of disorganized and psychotic thinking. Also used to help treat false perceptions (e.g. hallucinations or delusions.) The habit-forming potential is none, but long term use may lead to Tardive Dyskinesia. About the valium, hope he doesn`t have to take it very long. It`s harder to get off of than the methadone. Do a search on both drugs. I`d be more worried about the valium than the Thorazine. Maybe you can talk with his doctor about his treatment. Good luck to you and your son.
Old 02-09-2002, 07:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Your post suggest a couple possible reasons:

Thorazine is a tranquilizer. He may be having a difficult time adjusting to his situation.

Withdrawals: It is not uncommon for Thorazine to be given for nausia, vomiting, etc.

Just my experience..
Old 02-09-2002, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Tricia11364

Thanks. I looked up Thorazine and found alot of good info about it. Even found 1 site that said valium and thorzaine are sometimes used to help with methadone withdrawal.

Tricia

Old 02-09-2002, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Tricia11364

Thank you Cassy. I found the same thing. Doesn't sound that bad. It's a tranquilizer. I just remember hearing horror stories about Indiana prisoners being sent to a mental hospital and being shot up with Thorazine and coming back looking and acting as if they had a lobotomy. I think my son must be getting pill form since his letter was pretty clear.

Thanks again.

Tricia