Notices

Ultram

Old 05-21-2006, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ultram

The doc put me on ultram and to tell you the truth the ibuprophen works better for the pain i cant even tell i am taking anything when i take the Ultram. I also found out that Ultram causes seizures. So anyway i am still in alot of pain i guess i am going to have to learn to live with it
Old 05-21-2006, 09:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

When I was abusing pain meds, for a short period of time, I could only get ahold of Ultram, so I ate them, and I can tell you that they did nothing at all for me. I stopped taking them, I didn't even bother, because I too felt like they weren't any different than advil for me.. They did nothing for me.

Now I know there are others out there who have really suffered over Ultram, but I didn't even take it long, because it just didn't produce the feelings I was looking for while I was abusing.

Have you tried really strong prescribed ibuprophen? That works really well for alot fo people. I have heard of people having root canals, and teeth pulled, and alot of different painful things done, and just using the prescribed ibuprophen.. Because when it comes down to it, pain killers, really do not kill any pain at all, ( opiates, hydros, etc...) they just make you high, so you don't know you are in pain. It's the advil, or the tylenol in the percs, or vicoden that help with the pain. That is what a pain clinic doctor told my friend that was getting pain killers from him.

I am sure you probably already know this, since you are a paramedic though. But for anyone else who may read it, who may not know.??

I'll pray for your pain Tina..
Love,
Becky
Old 05-21-2006, 10:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe i should ask my pcp for some 800 mg Ibuprophen becuase i am really hurting. Right now i am taking Tylenol ASA and Lots of Advil and i am still in pain. I have had surgery on my knee it never stops hurting it seems along with numerous back injuries. And the pain in my stomach is really bad. I just wish i could get some relief somehow without the narcs..
Old 05-21-2006, 09:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Pain

Tramadol binds to the opioid receptors in the brain but much more weakly, also it can lower the seizure threshold, especially if taken on an empty stomach. If ibuprofen works better perhaps your pain is primarily inflammatory; you can take 4 OTC ibus, usually they're 200 mg, but you're limited to 8 tabs q 24 hr. And careful with acetaminophen (Tylenol) as it can cause severe liver damage over 3 gm in 24 hr (equal to 6 500 mg tabs). Some people have good luck with other NSAIDs like ketorolac (Toradol). You shouldn't take it longer than 5 days but it's available orally now although it is by Rx. You could also try cold packs, visualization, imagery.

My heart goes out to you. It must be awful to have severe pain and not be able to take narcotics. I don't mean to contradict what your friend said, angelgirl, but narcotics bind to multiple types of pain receptors in the brain and block the trnamission of the pain signals from the peripheral nerves. I've treated many patients in severe pain, usually cancer, with liquid morphine (or some other pure narcotic like oxy) and brought their pain level down to 0. Sorry, I don't mean to preach but these drugs do have a really important role in controlling pain, esp at end of life. They also slow down breathing, which is a side effect we often desire, as end stage respiratory distress is a common and otherwise difficult sx to manage in hospice. Okay, okay, I'll stop now. I hope you can get some relief from your pain and feel free to PM me if you have and questions about this. In case you didn't guess I'm a hospice nurse, have been for 10 years.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey Tina,,

My husband takes ketorolac (Toradol) for his Migraine head aches, and he has really terrible migraines. This has been the first med that we have found that has taken away his pain. Maybe you could check with your doctor to see if this would work for you? My aunt that has MS also takes this med ( along with a few other, but this is one that she takes. )..

Prayers,
Becky
Old 05-22-2006, 05:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I have a broken rib from coughing with bronchitis for the past 3 weeks. I have pleurisy too. Doc gave me Ultram and I'm taking it as prescribed along with 800mg of ibuprofen. The Ultram makes me kinda of drowsy but it does help with the pain a bit.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I too take toradol for my migraines. Works wonders and is pretty cheap. Beats going to the hospital everytime I get one just to get an injection of it. I have been given that for years and I only take it when I feel the headache coming on. Also I was given Amiptiptuline to take at night for my chronic headache syndrome (daily headaches) And that has seemed to help the daily ones alot but doesnt stop the migraines. There is a horrible hangover effect with that but after a couple weeks it stops and so do the headaches. Good luck. I guess it attaches on to the pain receptors also. Its used for tons of things thought. Ibuprophen works good too only if I take 4 they also I think helped more than the hydro did at one point. But by then I was hooked that was for my knees. Well good luck with everything I hope they can find something that works there are lots of alternatives out there. Kim