Notices

Getting my wisdom teeth out

Old 05-14-2006, 03:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting my wisdom teeth out

Will my tollerance to opiates from oxycontin abuse (3-4/OC80/day) have a negative affect on the anestesia I'll be under when I get my wisdom teeth out next week?
Old 05-14-2006, 04:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hmm not sure, depends on the anasthetic agent used I think...no dr tho, so talk to someone specialized in that.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Important - don't hide it.

I would definitely disclose the Oxy use and let the anesthesiologist decide. They would likely change the dosage of whatever they give you, and monitor you closely.

With addicts there is the risk of undersedation . . . you can come to the O.R. fully awake for the procedure. Or there is a possible risk of oversedation if the induction agent reacts synergistically with the Oxy.

There is a likelihood that you will have to be monitored for hypotension, which is common for addicts undergoing surgery.

Disclose and avoid a crisis.

Buzz
Old 05-14-2006, 12:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Oh yes,,

Buzz is correct, Do not hide this info from your anesthesiologist (at the very minimum).. Please..

Prayers,,
Becky
Old 05-14-2006, 02:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i didn't have any problems but i'll echo what has been said. tell your doc. let them make the decision. they deal with this all day everyday. you aren't the only addict they've dealt with. they'll know what to do. good luck.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

800mg ibuprofen is great for tooth pain
Old 05-15-2006, 01:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

lol, i have to disagree with you there. i got two teeth pulled in prison and got ibuprofen. i was in hell. everyone is different but i had a helluva time making it on that.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

I've had 3 root canals and a tooth pulled since I got clean and i was lucky in that 800mg of ibuprofen and some meditation relieved the pain enough for me to not have to do any dope.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

meditation? that's new to me..... where'd you learn about that?
Old 05-15-2006, 03:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
At Least I Think I Do

When I had severe tooth pain I found that regular plain old aspirin worked the best - just my experience - Ibuprofen doesn't always work the best for me either!!!!
Old 05-16-2006, 05:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

mdetation works for me by focusing on the reality, which is that pain is simply a chemical reaction in my brain and focusing on the moment without judgeing.....pain hurts b/c we say it does, if you can get rid of that preconcieved judgement, it ceases to hurt and then just becomes an experience.......sounds wierd but it works for me.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

may sound odd to some but if it works for you then it's worth a shot. i've never known you to blow smoke blake.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

i would rather spit blood and roll around on the ground in agony before taking any kind of opiate for pain
Old 05-16-2006, 12:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i hear ya. a lot of people feel the same way. i personally handled it fine when they gave me six vicodin for my last wisdom tooth recently. my doc was aware of the potential problem and gave me very few of them and i did fine. everyone is different though. heh, i do however think we derailed the thread. all we were asked was a question about anesthesia, lol.

good times

Old 05-16-2006, 12:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by karmabella
i hear ya. a lot of people feel the same way. i personally handled it fine when they gave me six vicodin for my last wisdom tooth recently. my doc was aware of the potential problem and gave me very few of them and i did fine. everyone is different though. heh, i do however think we derailed the thread. all we were asked was a question about anesthesia, lol.

good times

crap, i should pay more attention
Old 05-16-2006, 12:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

lol, i wasnt' dogging anyone, i just think it's funny sometimes how we get sidetracked. i'm the worst. i can't stay on a subject more than a few minutes before my mind starts wondering about the color of the screen or something.